[TV] Idea: Auto commercial removal WITHOUT file processing (e.g. Comskip) (1 Viewer)

peter_H

Portal Member
May 28, 2008
Wellington, NZ
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Possible? Maybe - with enough participation.

Here's the big idea:

Have HTPCs:

1) record, during live viewing, or recorded playback:

* whenever users press certain remote buttons, like MUTE/UNMUTE, FFWD, PAUSE, etc, that might indicate that a commercial break has just happened
* what channel they were watching
* the exact time they pressed the button (relative to the programme screening time)
* a unique identifier for the programme, such as the Country+Channel+Title+Description.

2) upload that info to a central internet server, where it is aggregated with all other users data, to produce a master schedule, including the most likely places commercials started and ended. Various factors could weight the results, e.g. MUTE buttons being more likely to indicate the start of a commercial; or somehow "learning" which users are more accurate than others.

3) download that data and use it instead of, or alongside, Comskip-type file-scanning software.

4) sync'd to the same clock.

The more people take part, the more accurate the data becomes.

And once the server is established, there's probably no reason why it couldn't be used for downloading/uploading schedules too.

I imagine it would be per-country based.

Unfortunately, I'm in no position to help implement any of this. But I thought I'd throw the idea out there, in case anyone wants to pick it up.

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
November 17, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Idea: Auto commercial removal WITHOUT file processing (e.g. Comskip)

first thought impression :
good idea, but to complicated to implement (web services needed, synchro,...) and might be used by too little people who watch/record the exact same program. How would you determine that someone is muting /ff / .. because there is a commercial and not something else. Other problems : different pc times (not everybody syncs to a time server) different pc cards, countries - i guess syncing and finding the exact right frame position could be difficult.
If every tv had something like this it would be a great idea, but i think the mp community is just too small to make something like this work for everybody, so i think that comskip is right now the best solution for skipping commercials.

Joe

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Idea: Auto commercial removal WITHOUT file processing (e.g. Comskip)

If every tv had something like this it would be a great idea, but i think the mp community is just too small to make something like this work for everybody, so i think that comskip is right now the best solution for skipping commercials.

Also abusing the system would be too easy:

1) feed invalid data to people will miss parts of the show
    2) feed invalid data so adds are always visible (this could be done by the advertisers :))

peter_H

Portal Member
    May 28, 2008
    Wellington, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    • Yes, sure, the technique would really only work with a critical mass of users. But with that volume comes the ability to detect and reject erroneous data points.
    • I see no reason why the system couldn't be adopted by all the major PVRs, e.g. MP, GBPVR, MythTV, etc.
    • If the system was non-anonymous, then that might deter vandalism of the data (by advertisers, say).
    • With user accounts, some users could be considered more trustworthy than others, based on history or higher trust ratings from other users. So their data carries more weight.
    • Maybe if someone uploaded data that was way off the "norm", then they could be flagged as possible vandals, and the value of their data deprecated.
    • What if someone could also upload a comskip.txt profile of a show. Maybe that could be incorporated into the final result. Early on, with few users, I'd imagine this would be the most reliable source of information. So at the very least, the service would be a comskip.txt sharing mechanism. So only one person has to process the file, for the whole country. (Sure, it probably wouldn't be wise to trust just one instance).
    • Each show's "edit list" could have an "Accuracy Rating", which, amongst other things, is based on the volume of raw data processed to produce a result. A consumer of the edit list could specify a minimum acceptance level. Not all shows need have data available. Where it is, the consumer has the choice to use it - as long as it meets their minimum accuracy rating.
    • Time sync can easily be achieved by syncing to an Internet Time Server (NTP service).
    • Consumers could feedback to the system about the accuracy of a show's edit list - affecting it's accuracy rating for future consumers.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    • I see no reason why the system couldn't be adopted by all the major PVRs, e.g. MP, GBPVR, MythTV, etc.

• Indeed this way it sounds much more feasible. But the development effort would be huge and I'm sure that currently no one in MP team has the possibility for such big tasks. It would be someone who is outside of the team who has interest in the topic and good coding skills. He should start a separate open source project that could be used multiple different HTPC applications.

peter_H

Portal Member
    May 28, 2008
    Wellington, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, I agree that the project could be mostly coded separately from the PVR core. It could supply the PVR developers with a COM object/ .NET library/dll or suchlike, with all the details about talking to the server encapsulated. I know that both MP and GBPVR use .NET.

Then it might be as simple for the PVR developers as using the following functions:

edlObject.setCountry( country )
    edlObject.setHomeServerURL( "adsbegone.com")
    edlObject.setTimeServerURL( "time.windows.com") ; edlObject keeps track of it's own time, so doesn't matter if system clock is wrong

edlObject.startShow( Channel,Title,Description ) ; call every time a new show starts or channel is changed

edlObject.recordButtonPress( buttonType) ; call this function every time a button is pressed!

edlObject.endShow() ; call every time a new show ends or channel is changed!

edlObject.uploadAndFlushData()

edlObject.uploadEditList( editListType, Channel, Title, Description, TimeOfSheduledBroadcast) ; for uploading a comskip.txt file

...and for downloading an edit list + accuracyRating:

editList = editListObject.getShowData( Country,Channel,Title,TimeOfSheduledBroadcast, minimumAccuracyRating)

...plus some way of specifying callbacks for getting upload/download results asynchronously.

So really, it could be made to be minimal effort to integrate into PVRs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom