Idea for possible (maybe silly?) feature? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
Got an idea in the shower for a feature some people might find usefull. A "channel generator." Here's the idea behind it.

Basically, you'd have a feature that is able to generate "channels" from your TV shows. I don't know about other people, but sometimes if I just want something interesting in the background (something other than the food channel), I often find it hard to choose what TV series and what episode to play. Then when it's over, you have to select another episode.

If you could configure "channels" you could have, say, a comedy channel. I imagine it would be like a playlist with one major difference. It would continually "play" the playlist just like a TV channel.

By "play" I don't necessarily mean it would continually run the video in the background, but it would keep track of where it should be in the episode. i.e. if it started "playing" a Simpsons episode @ 12:10pm and you switched to the "comedy channel" @ 12:20pm, it would automatically start playing that file 10 mins into the episode to simulate normal TV.

Comments? Questions? Crittisism? I realise a lot of people will probably think it's a bit of a silly idea and you can just leave the TV on in the background, but sometimes there is nothing on the idiot box. This way, there would always be a random selection of shows that YOU like.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You can play a random episode already, if you press the info button on a show or a particular season, in the menu that pops up you can choose play random episode, not sure whether you can do this on the top most level so that it's a random show from all of you're available tv series though.

I think if I remember correctly that this is only one show at a time, you're idea of having custom channels I quite like except for the bit where you miss the first 10 mins of a show! :D

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think if I remember correctly that this is only one show at a time, you're idea of having custom channels I quite like except for the bit where you miss the first 10 mins of a show! :D

Yeah, but you would actually have all of the video so you would be able to rewind if you said to yourself "I really like this episode, I'd like to watch it from the beginning." I think this is a great idea but it seems like I've seen it come up before to no real end.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Sounds like a fun idea, don't know if its even possible to make, but it never hurts to raise the question.

I think I've heard of an idea like this before, but it could have been the same, only with music - like your own radiostation.

One addition: Make it an option to only show "Watched" episodes. Would be a shame if you had it on it the background and suddenly saw the ending of your newly recorded episode of your favorite show, spoiling the plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom