Idea for pseudo cover flow / trick skewing images (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I really wanted to do some nice mockups for coverflow ideas for moving pictures, however it seems that the skin engine does not support skewed images. So I had an idea for creating a fake skew. Thought I'd share them just in case someone wants to use them in their skins. If the DVD Cover is small enough you can't notice the errors from normal viewing distances.

Examples are using anchor man because dvd covers with writing down the bottom look the worse. DVD covers without writing actually look a lot better (eg. The Iron Man DVD Cover)

Explanation
    coverflow2.jpg

With and without glass overlay
    coverflow3.jpg

This is done without any skew either, the shadows are done using a reflected image and a rotated reflected image
    coverflow4.jpg

Example useage
    coverflow.jpg

Another example useage
    coverflow8-no-skew.jpg

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeah that would be possible too.

If you add perspective to the top as well, then you need 3 images per dvd cover without reflections and 5 images per dvd cover with reflections.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know this is not what your going for but you can do this with the program starkcovers to your movie posters, would be cool to have some type of plugin with the skin that could do this to your covers. I personally dont use the angled covers but as you can see they look nice in X-factor.

program is available here
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/StarkCovers_program_52060.html

example I made up real quick, this is a actual screenshot not a mockup
    test.jpg

This program is made for windows mce mediabrowser but it can be used for mediaportal pretty easily.

before I had all my movies just in drives no folders

First I used a batch script to make folders and put the movies in them all automated and takes seconds
    then use the MP Artwork and Info Copier posted on this site to copy the nfo and cover to the movie folder,
    and chose to name the covers folder.jpg so the starkcovers would see them, then run starkcovers and it converts
    all the covers and makes a backup of them so you can revert them back.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is a actual screenshot not a mockup
    test.jpg

So have those covers already had perspective added, or is this done by the xfactor skin?

This is what it would look like using 3 copies of each dvd cover, rotated to create false perspective.
    The reflection is created using 2 copies of the dvd cover to create the reflection

coverflow9b.jpg

coverflow9-noskew.jpg

coverflow10-noskew.jpg

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just set my hopes high for MP2, this NEEDS to have a more flexible skinengine. I actually tried to fake the coverflow once with a plugin, and it wasn't bad, but the items in lists (filmstrip for example) in MediaPortal cannot be accessed as individual items so you need to do a lot of looping.

The idea was to hide the actual facadeview and then detect keypresses, and animate a number of pictures to rotate a number of degrees.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Too bad it won't work with MediaPortal :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom