IDEA - saving covers, backdrops to movie dir (1 Viewer)

vencav

Portal Member
February 10, 2009
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi all,

I have idea, because I am often changing computers etc. my idea is to be able to write downloaded info, backdrops and covers to movie directory - and when I reinstall PC / or acces movie directory from another PC with MP, then MP will be able recognize all movies with this "files", for example :
in the directory "Mamma mia" I have file "Mamma mia.mkv" - now I have this movie in MP DB and there will be function - write info to the movies and there will be created file "Mamma mia.mp" with movie ID, IMDB id, etc. in the "Mamma mia" directory and "Mamma mia_cover1.jpg" files ...

I will be then able to recognize 100% movies from reinstalled PC or another PC withou backup DB or when I change the path to the movies, MP will be able to recognize them all :)

I hope my english is good enough to understand :) thanks

thepahakurki

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2008
    Finland
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    This is something I'd like to see as well.

However I think that the files should be named as folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg
    (or .png depending on the file format)

G

Gelöschtes Mitglied 96825

When i used Meedio, most of the plugins there did that. Pretty useful, but Meedio on a whole is useless. Too slow frontend.

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    the movie backdrops and posters are already saved as jpegs.
    you can backup those folders, plus i have a tip about setting up the mediaportal backdrop/poster folders as picture folders over here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/awesome-backdrop-covers-slideshow-tip-68638/

keeping the backdrops and posters all in one folder makes it possible to do a slideshow of them.
    given that the backdrops are all high-definition, they look really awesome when you do them as a slideshow with some background music.

thepahakurki

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2008
    Finland
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    the movie backdrops and posters are already saved as jpegs.
    you can backup those folders, plus i have a tip about setting up the mediaportal backdrop/poster folders as picture folders over here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/awesome-backdrop-covers-slideshow-tip-68638/

keeping the backdrops and posters all in one folder makes it possible to do a slideshow of them.
    given that the backdrops are all high-definition, they look really awesome when you do them as a slideshow with some background music.

Yeah that is also true, but the idea was that if you have several computers that have Mediaportal (or you often change computers as the thread starter) you wouldn't have to always redownload all the covers and backdrops again and again for each computer.

Also I'm not against having a common folder for all the covers and backdrops - I'm proposing that Moving Pictures would merely make a copy of the files to the folder where a movie file is present. Thus there would be 2 of each files: one per movie in Moving Pictures database folder and one in the movie file folder...

fekker

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    I don't visit these forums much, but every once in awhile i stop by.

In the past I created a few different media managers, Movie Info Plus, which later grew into Media Info Plus.. both are geared towards xbmc formats and images.

I'm working with a team of folks on a new unified media manager, cross platform, open source, c# (mono) with multiple interface options (and languages), one of the goals is to support mediaportal images and information. We are still sorting out the name, for now it's Universal Media X.

Does anyone happen to know the naming convention that is used for the images? (in the movie folder)
    Or have any other details on how images are handled?

From what i've read, the .nfo files are used to look for the imdbid only, the naming convention is straight forward and is supported in the new app already.

n3w813

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Download MetaBrowser. It will catalog your movies and download coverart and backdrops and save as folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg in the respective movie folder. Then configure the providers in Moving Pictures to use Local Data for the coverart and backdrops. It even writes the movie info in a xml file, but Moving Pictures doesn't use it unfortunately.

So when you change computers, configure Moving Pictures first to use Local Data, then run a scan so it can download movie info only and use the jpgs that you already have in the individual movie folder. :)

marvenius

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    this has been discussed earlier.
    Saving as folder and/or backdrop.jpg discards the "other" covers and backdrops (multiple backdrops is scheduled).
    Saving to the mediafolder (where the movie is) is also discussed and, if I recall correctly, also planned as enhancement issue with configurable filenames.
    Have a look at: Issues - moving-pictures - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Where every current registered issue is available to all. And as a plus, when it is not registered, you can add one.

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wouldn't this have a negative influence on performance if you have your movies on a NAS, Server or on a removable disk? I have all my stuff on a (sort of) removable disk connected to a server, let's say I have 500 movies (which I don't) and for every image load it would need to access a non-local disk? Don't think it would be wise to implement this as a standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom