Ideas how to get VFD working with Antec Fusion case? (1 Viewer)

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

I recently got myself an Antec Fusion case (v1) with a VFD. I'm happy with most of it, except the VFD. It works very randomly and most of the times not at all. This is after suspend/hibernate. Directly after a clean boot (with PSU disconnected to discharge) it works fine.

The problem sees to be related to the fact it got power from two different sources, USB and directly from PSU. The sequence of power-up appears to be important, see http://www.antec.com/us/support_roductInfo_FAQ.php?Qnumber=1&FAQno=24.

I emailed a bit with Antec support but they are not very responsive and/or helpful. So far I've only been asked to remove a certain patch (which was for Vista, I use XP), that's it.

The problem is it doesn't even show up in Device Manager, so it appears as it is not recognized as connected. I've tried installing various versions of the driver etc but nothing helps.

Has anyone got some clever ideas, smart workarounds, etc, that could help shed some light on this? I've been thinking about changing the power supplies connections to make sure it i powered up in the right order but I'm not really happy starting to mess with the HW as any warranty would be lost.

Cheers

/Peter

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    i have the same case, but have never used hibernate with mediaportal. i will try it tonight and let you know if i get the same problem.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi,

I have this case too and in the beginning I was disappointed because I could not get the VFD to work properly.
    The I found a thread about this issue which points to a newer driver version from Antec.
    With this driver and the 'External Display' plug in activated I get menu or media information.

The only minor thing is that sometimes my system randomly boots and reboots due to ?something? and I guess that this is because of hibernating<->driver.

Have a look at this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/antec_fusion_works-t24307.html especially at the link to the Antec website with the newer driver.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Peter2,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually using the driver already but I don't think it has so much to do with the driver as the HW disappears completely from the Device Manager. When the VFD is working (like after a fresh reboot) then it works fine. It's just it doesn't like that the machine is suspended and then powered-up again.

/Peter

bermag

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I hope there is a solution to this problem since I am going to buy that case myself.

You are probably right that it has to do with the power.

Something to try: Some USB devices has standby power even when PSU is off (with the power button, not when plugged out. PSU is always in standby state) other might not have it. I guess it might cause problems when hibernated and there is no power coming directly from PSU but there is power coming from USB. Or maybe it is the opposite, it get power from PSU (perhaps the display should have power when in standby state) but there are no power coming from USB device.

Try to use another USB connector which don't give standby power. Check your motherboard manual about this. You might need to change some jumpers on the motherboard or something.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    To be honest: I don't know if I would buy this case again. I was tempted because of the design and liked the fact that is has the VFD and the volume knob.
    Even though they both work as it should, I don't see the added value of it anymore. Maybe it's also because I have to switch my tv on since the sound is going to the tv and then to my amplifier so I cannot play music without turning on the tv.
    Because of that, the VFD has only a gadget function and the volume knob is quite redundant as well.

Then again, the model without VFD and volume knob looks to boring in my opinion.
    On the other hand, the case is well put together, good quality, silent - am just running 1 casefan on lowest speed, C&Q enabled.
    Until here my personal opinion.

I just checked and the only entry - never looked at it before - in device manager is the 'SG Remote Control Device' under USB controllers.
    The driver version: 1.2.0.0 from 22/12/2004
    I didn't do anything special regarding usb settings or power as far as I remember; just plugged it to one of the on board USB connectors.
    Whether I'm rebooting it or waking up from hibernate, the device doesn't disappear.

Maybe this information is useful.

babelfish

Portal Member
    August 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just a little warning. The newer V2 version (at least the black one) comes with a LCD display. Worse stability problems and totally unreadable display. The LCD doesn't support 3.party plugins like the older VDF did. It's a crippled iMon display that only work with Antec's own drivers. Just sendt a return request on this one.

blogra

Portal Member
    September 17, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I have a black fusion case with the blue display, and you're right, it is pretty usless, but I find that its a good indication that the PC is running OK (when recording something and the TV is off). I also noticed that the backlighting would not switch off sometimes when the machine was put into S3 mode. It would also not start correctly when coming out of standby. I solved this by adding a little timer relay circuit. Firstly, I rewired the blue leds associated with the power switch. It now runs off the m/b led connection that indicates whether its in standby or not. In S3 mode the leds are off. In S1 mode the leds blink. Anyway, if the led is off for a few seconds or more, the relay releases and switches off the standby 5 volts from the VFD connection. So without the main +5 or standby +5 the VFD has to restart, even from standby. Works all the time now. The relay also switches off the main fans when in S1 mode; in S3 mode, the +12v is switched off anyway, so they are off.

babelfish

Portal Member
    August 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have a black fusion case with the blue display, and you're right, it is pretty usless, but I find that its a good indication that the PC is running OK (when recording something and the TV is off). I also noticed that the backlighting would not switch off sometimes when the machine was put into S3 mode. It would also not start correctly when coming out of standby. I solved this by adding a little timer relay circuit. Firstly, I rewired the blue leds associated with the power switch. It now runs off the m/b led connection that indicates whether its in standby or not. In S3 mode the leds are off. In S1 mode the leds blink. Anyway, if the led is off for a few seconds or more, the relay releases and switches off the standby 5 volts from the VFD connection. So without the main +5 or standby +5 the VFD has to restart, even from standby. Works all the time now. The relay also switches off the main fans when in S1 mode; in S3 mode, the +12v is switched off anyway, so they are off.

Intersting stuff. How are the realy connected, and what kind of timer relay is it?
    You say you rewired the power led. How was it wired before? Is it conected via the dispaly or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom