I'm making this look hard and I think it should be easy (1 Viewer)

ro80rob

December 24, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello
I'm a newby to this, and I'm struggling to get this to work properly so any help would be great since when I started trying to get mediaportal to work yesterday, I've developed even more grey hair.
However I have had a bit of a trawl through the forum and haven't really got an answer, or at least one I can understand, so please bare with me.

My system.. A PC bought especially to do media things with my new TV. I have had some hardware probs with it, but I believe I am over this now. The machine has a pinnacle DVBT twin tuner card. I'm using the latest version available for mediaportal (not any beta). Sadly the machine has Vista home premium. I never thought I'd be saying I wish it was XP, but I'm afraid that I can't get over how many times I need to grant it permission to do even the simplest of things (like just make a new folder). My 'experience' with it is poor so far. Anyway, I mention that I have Vista in case that is the root of my problems. Please read on.

I installed the mediaportal with no problems. Its when I tried to get the EPG to work that I have come completely unstuck.
Firstly I tried the route offered through the configuration routine. I downloaded the XTVML (sorry if that is not correct only I'm at work and don't have the actual machine here for referance) from sourceforge? orwherever it recommends when you try and run the grabber. Anyway I got that and I had to make an appropriate directory in the mediaportal folder to put this. I got the grabber to work (used the radio times source). However I could not get the EPG to show the appropriate listing for the appropriate channels. This was ironic since it was almost exclusively a BBC channel problem, and having used the Radio times as a source too!.

Anyway, I went back onto this site and got info about the WEBEPG, which is supplied with the mediaportal install. I ran the config and that all worked as described. However, when I run webepg, nothing happens. I checked that when I ran it, webepg seems to appear as a process in task manager for a minute or so, but it never creates a tvguide.xml file anywhere. I also don't seem to have a config xml file anywhere. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I went back to looking at the original (dos based) epg and that no longer seems to work, usually bombing out with an error in the 'scheduler' or similar when I try a 'grab'.
Currently, my epg within mediaportal itself shows channels which the tuner claims it 'cannot tune to' and other channels without any programme info that do show TV.
I've removed and re-installed mediaportal several times now, and am slowly getting in a worse state with the EPG info I can get!

I'm getting thoroughly confused about what to do and how to proceed. I'm also getting it in the neck now we don't have a video recorder to use over the xmas period.

Has anyone got some plain (low tech) advice to straighten me out and get this to work. Where do I look to find configuration files etc and why aren't I creating any XML files?

Merry Christmas... Rob.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    All personal files when using vista it's in "C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" folder, you can disable UAC in vista(Controlpanel -> Users) so you don't have to grant access for opening progs/files...

Update:
    For the XMLTV to work you need to copy "C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv" folder(only XMLTV) to "MediaPortal installation path"\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\"

Regards
    Roy

ro80rob

December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Hello Roy
    Since this PC has no other users, I do not have a "C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" folder.
    The xmltv folder exists already in the team mediaportal\mediaportal\ installation path. I had to create the xmltv folder there (why does the installation not create this folder?).

Cheers... Rob.

However.....

Roy I think your intervention here has done the trick. I turned off the UAC as you suggested and windows balked a bit about this, but its made a vast improvement to its operability.

Having done that, I decided to run the webEPG config again. Straight away, I could see it was a different animal, and I had to run the import feature to get the listing up (previously that came up straight away). I then tried the auto function to assign the appropriate EPG look ups, and went through and corrected the ones that were missing/wrong. I remebered to save the thing too!
    I then ran the webEPG and hey presto, it created a TVguide.xml file in the correct place. Magic.

A little bit more tinkering within mediaportal itself (manually reassigning EPG data [gee I'm getting to be a dab hand at that]) and I have the whole thing working. Absolutely brilliant!!.
    I guess an important note for this is...
    With Vista, make sure you turn OFF UAC.

Merry Christmas... Rob. (now to rearrange the channel order and actually try recording something!)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I turned off the UAC as you suggested

Yep first thing to do after installing Vista, preferably before installing MediaPortal or any codecs.

You may get some wrong EPG info using WebEPG for Freeview channels, also use the grab EPG from DVB stream option will overwrite incorrect info.

Cheers

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    You have that folder if you copy & past the above into "Run", but you can also look here(it's the same folder but accessed in another way) "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal". You probably have files hidden on your hdd.

The reason to why XMLTV it's not in MP root folder is because Vista doesn't allow writing to other dirs then %ProgramData%......

Regards
    Roy

ro80rob

December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Hello
    Still having a problem withe the WebEPG.
    I have enabled the plugin (as instructed) so that it does an update at midnight, except there is a problem.

Firstly I'm not sure if I need to have the mediaportal running even if I'm not watching the TV for this to happen?

Secondly, even if I try and run (dbl click) on WebEPG, nothing happens. I see it flash up in the task manager processes for a fraction of a second, then it is gone. If I look in the XMLTV folder, the TVGuide.XML file still has its original modification date (when it ran the first time/was created).

Thirdly (in case this is important), I do not have a password to get into this computer, though it does have a username. It is VISTA and I have disabled (and checked it is off) UAC.

Any ideas?

Cheers... Rob.

drunkmonkey0

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2007
    Home Country
    You don't need to use webEPG, i was perplexed by this at the begining also.
    Try grabbing EPG from the DVB Stream instead, find the checkbox in tv config.
    It'll soon start building up your tv guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom