IMDB scores/ratings rounded? (1 Viewer)

ddlooping

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello. :)

Is it normal behavior for Moving Pictures to round off the IMDB scores/ratings?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes. This is because of the way the GUIMultiImage skin control works. The control will try to convert a the "percentage" you passed it to a string, but in some cultures that means 8.4 and in others that means 8,4. If it happens to be 8,4 the multiimage fails to render. So the rounding off behavior is kind of a work around for a bug in MediaPortal.

All that being said though, I think philosophically I feel like a 10 point rating system is more than enough. If you want to allow something like 8.4, that means that there are 100 different ratings between 0.0 and 10.0. That seems a little excessive to me. Although this is my own opinion, I think maybe it is not something I should try to enforce on others. ;) So as soon as the GUIMultiImage class is fixed, we will switch it to allow decimals.

ddlooping

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the quick and thorough reply, fforde. :)

When the score is been read from the database, couldn't it be assigned to a second variable?
    One could be rounded off and used by the GUIMultiImage skin control, the other would pass-through "un-rounded"?

There might be a 100 different ratings between 0.0 and 10.0, but would you say a 6.5 and a 7.4 movie deserve to share the same score?
    How about a 5.5 and a 6.4? ;)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Good point on both accounts. We could add a second property to pass to the skin. I am a bit hesitant to do this though because this would require a skin change to be effective, but the property change would only be temporary (until the bug is fixed). I'd much rather spend time fixing the bug in MediaPortal and submitting a patch rather than creating a new property that may or may not get used in the long term.

As for your examples, I agree, 5.5 is very different from 6.4. ;) I'll see about putting together a patch for MediaPortal for their next release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Check this web page for the informations about he plugin. To fix the issue, I recommend to uninstal and install the plugin again (if you need it).
    Check this web page for the informations about he plugin. To fix the issue, I recommend to uninstal and install the plugin again...
    I've just installed MP 1.31 with Streamed skin, IMDB+ plugin, Moving Pictures and MP-TV Series. First time starting up MP to...
    Replies
    Views
    What's the best way to select a different backdrop? Sometimes the first selected backdrop is not great and I'd like to select another. Moving Pictures scales down the high res pictures and shrinks the filesize as well so I can't just go to fanart or themoviedb and get the images without doing some extra work to get the file right...
    What's the best way to select a different backdrop? Sometimes the first selected backdrop is not great and I'd like to select...
    What's the best way to select a different backdrop? Sometimes the first selected backdrop is not great and I'd like to select...
    Replies
    Views
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my library. I'm used to a relatively smooth and fast process. But now it was EXTREMELY slow. Also many titles that always gets identified by IMDB+ now were not. Themoviedb.org instead provided details. At first...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello all, Recently I have been having a few problems importing movies to Moving Pictures using the IMDB+ plugin (missing fields) so I have decided to have a go at creating an XML based on the XBMC Local xml. This has not been tested with multi languages and it has been configured for my personal collection. I'm hoping it will work...
    Hello all, Recently I have been having a few problems importing movies to Moving Pictures using the IMDB+ plugin (missing fields)...
    Hello all, Recently I have been having a few problems importing movies to Moving Pictures using the IMDB+ plugin (missing fields)...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Skin Properties DE
    Thanks RoChess. Somehow I always forget the web archive when looking for information that leads to dead links. :rolleyes:
    Thanks RoChess. Somehow I always forget the web archive when looking for information that leads to dead links. :rolleyes:
    Not sure if I’ve missed this info somewhere here but is there a full list or wiki that’s actually working with a full list of...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom