IMDb+ Scraper issues with Italian language (1 Viewer)

Giuseppe

Portal Member
September 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hello to all,
I have a problem with importing and cataloging of films in Italian with moving pictures and IMDB+.

It often happens that the films are imported with their English title (though it is set to IMDB+ importing in Italian language).
Always accesses that the movies are imported WITHOUT any category.

Can you fix it?
Thank you very very much

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hello to all,
    I have a problem with importing and cataloging of films in Italian with moving pictures and IMDB+.

It often happens that the films are imported with their English title (though it is set to IMDB+ importing in Italian language).
    Always accesses that the movies are imported WITHOUT any category.

Can you fix it?
    Thank you very very much

IMDb in their wisdom disabled the www.imdb.it, www.imdb.de, www.imdb.fr, www.imdb.pt, and www.imdb.es websites and redirects them to www.imdb.com. This in turn disables all the function I was able to obtain with IMDb+ to get a localized summary/tagline/genres/etc. It still works to some degree for the title, but I need to develop a new way to properly detect it.

If you add '|it' to advanced IMDb settings for country and language, you can trick IMDb+ into accepting the IMDb Italian translation of English titles.

And at the same time I'm forced to wait for Amazon and/or IMDb to get their act in order and integrate the functionality of imdb.it/de/etc websites into the IMDb website and show the Italian/German/etc content that the community has provided.

Another solution would be to look at another Italian movie website that allows me to locate the movie in question based on the IMDb tt-ID. This is what is being done to support the Dutch, Icelandic, and Swedish languages in IMDb+. If you know of such an Italian website, let me know please, because waiting on IMDb could take a very long time.

For right now I will disable the Italian genre/summary/language/etc lookup, because IMDb website does not show you "Genere:" for genres, but the English "Genre:". Expect v4.7.5 update shortly. This will use English language, but better something then nothing I guess.

Giuseppe

Portal Member
    September 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello RoChess and thank you for responding so quickly, I am stunned.
    I understand the problem and try to suggest a temporary solution (I hope) it is easy to develop.

You could insert a table into the script that adjusts the categories in English with their translations in Italian, if in the settings area of IMDB+ was added the | IT .
    The categories of film on IMDB is about 20, and if you want I can write you a table with their Italian translations, for example:

Action - Azione
    Horror - Horror
    Commedy - Commedia
    Drama - Drammatico

etc..

This would allow you to support the Italian language by almost 100% (with the exception of some of the plots and titles).
    I have 1k films in my db: it's not a big problem to have some Titles or plot in english but i can't have the same category in two languages or it would be very confusing.

Let me know if I can help you in this way, it might be a good compromise.
    Considers that IMDB + was until a few weeks ago, the only grabber working in Italy. We need you!

Thank you!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You could insert a table into the script that adjusts the categories in English with their translations in Italian

That is actually already in play for certification, so that when no official Italian certification entry exists at IMDb, I use a rough translation of PG/PG-13/R/etc and convert that to Italian.

So yeah, I'll start a new thread that will ask all 5 languages to provide the translated genre list as a workaround for the time being.

Giuseppe

Portal Member
    September 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thank you!
    I just reported the translations in your new thread.
    Is the IMDB+ team the same as MediaPortal? I would like to make a donation. (to Mediaportal and IMDB+ team too).

Thanks you again

sunflower

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2007
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    my problem is a little different.
    The option 'keep original title' seems to be broken.
    Esp. French movie titles are know translated into English (language of my system is German)
    Is this the same trouble with the changes within IMDB?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi,
    my problem is a little different.
    The option 'keep original title' seems to be broken.
    Esp. French movie titles are know translated into English (language of my system is German)
    Is this the same trouble with the changes within IMDB?

Yes, IMDb disabled all the German, French, Italian, Spanish and Portugese versions of their websites and redirects them to the English IMDb version now. It then does try to show a translated title if one is available, but all the summary/etc info is gone. Also the way they went about it broke a lot of IMDb+ functionality.

I keep hoping that Amazon who owns IMDb gets enough complaints from the European users impacted to fix evertyhing, but it seems they are either not listning, or not enough people are complaining for them to care.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to detect the language of the title, but IMDb does not make it easy. What complicates the matter is that IMDb gives me a different website result then it does you, based on IP, HTTP Language and other settings.

But I'm not giving up, and with a lot of work arounds you can make the existing settings work for you. So please give me all the examples of IMDb tt-ID, title you are getting, title you prefer, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom