import ordering/matching problem - neither aired nor DVD gives correct results (1 Viewer)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i'm importing some stuff from DVD, where the ordering is different from the aired version, and no matter what i try i cannot get it to import correctly.

specifically, south park, season 1. episodes 2 and 3 are switched around on the DVD order, compared to aired.

aired looks like :
2) weight gain 4000
3) volcano

DVD is:
2) volcano
3) weight gain 4000

this is how my DVD is ordered, and this is also how it is shown on thetvdb.com

however it is not possible to get these episodes, ripped from DVD, to import correctly, with any choice from the importer.

the problem begins, i think, with the fact that if i choose "DVD" from the importer menu, and click "match", the online episode list does not get re-ordered accordingly. they ARE matched up differently with my local files, but no matter what choice i make on the menu, the order of the episodes remains the same - the "aired" order.

if i choose "aired" from the menu, and click "match" the importer matches the episodes up like this :
local file 1x02 - volcano : online 1x02 weight gain 4000
local file 1x03 - weight gain 4000 : online 1x03 volcano

so bizarrely, the episodes play in the correct DVD order and NOT in the aired order. also, they are matched up incorrectly with the online episodes, so they are named incorrectly, and contain the wrong information, thumbnail, etc.

if i choose "DVD" from the menu, the order of the episodes does not change, but this time they get matched up like this :
local file 1x02 - volcano : online 1x03 volcano
local file 1x03 - weight gain 4000 : online 1x02 weight gain 4000

so now, the episodes are matched up correctly, with the correct names etc, but they play in the wrong order. and this is annoying! especially with the south park dvds because each episode begins with an interview with the creators, which starts with them talking about what happened in the previous episode.

so the problem is, neither of these import options is working as it should here. choosing "aired" is in fact giving me the DVD ordering, but the episodes are not matched up correctly. choosing "DVD" is matching correctly, but i'm getting the aired ordering.

further, because the online episode ordering does not change when i choose "DVD" from the menu, i cannot manually import them correctly either, because the online ordering still remains "aired", i.e. wrong.

forgot to say, i'm using v2.6.1.1200 on MP 1.1.0.0 on Win 7

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if i choose "aired" from the menu, and click "match" the importer matches the episodes up like this :
    local file 1x02 - volcano : online 1x02 weight gain 4000
    local file 1x03 - weight gain 4000 : online 1x03 volcano
    This is correct, as you can see your local filenames are ordered corresponding to DVD order. When you choose 'Aired' or 'DVD' from the matching orders it only cares about the episode and season number and in this case it matched correctly from 1x02 -> 1x02 and 1x03->1x03.

The online episode list will always display aired order, but the local episode list will change its match corresponding to the match order chosen.

if i choose "DVD" from the menu, the order of the episodes does not change, but this time they get matched up like this :
    local file 1x02 - volcano : online 1x03 volcano
    local file 1x03 - weight gain 4000 : online 1x02 weight gain 4000

so now, the episodes are matched up correctly, with the correct names etc, but they play in the wrong order. and this is annoying! especially with the south park dvds because each episode begins with an interview with the creators, which starts with them talking about what happened in the previous episode.

correct again, your local episodes have matched up the corresponding aired aired order based on DVD matching. If the order of play is important to you, you can change the Sort Order from the Action menu in the GUI. So even though you match up against DVD order, you can sort by Aired order. By default, DVDOrder sorts by DVD Order and Aired Order sorts by Aired Order.

You can Match by DVD Order but display as Aired Order in GUI. The 'Sort Order' menu is available from the Action menu when you press info (F9) for the selected series.

You can also incorrectly order by Aired when importing, and then change it later in GUI to match by DVD Order and vice versa. That option is available in the action menu 'Change online matching method'

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ok, so what you're saying is... the ordering in the importer doesn't affect the order the episodes get listed/played in, it only affects how they are matched... that certainly makes sense so far

is the sort order chosen from the action menu a separate setting, remembered, for each tv show? or will i have to set to DVD order to watch this show, then remember to switch it back before watching another show?

would be sweet if this choice was remembered for each tv show, and it could be made within the configurator as well as the action menu. i don't particularly like menuing around in MP on the remote, i prefer to get everything set up how i like in the configurator and then when in MP everything "just works" :)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok, so what you're saying is... the ordering in the importer doesn't affect the order the episodes get listed/played in, it only affects how they are matched... that certainly makes sense so far
    Correct.

is the sort order chosen from the action menu a separate setting, remembered, for each tv show? or will i have to set to DVD order to watch this show, then remember to switch it back before watching another show?
    Yes, the sort order is saved per series and is remembered.

It's only available in the GUI for now but might add the option to the details view in Configuration as well. By default the sort order matches the online match method which in most cases is what everyone wants but in some cases you do want to change it and thats why I added that option in v2.6.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom