Incorrect Genre saved in music database (1 Viewer)

mchadwick

Portal Member
March 2, 2006
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo 0.1.0.15
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
CPU Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
HDD: Western Digital 250GB
Memory: 2048 MB
Motherboard: DELL DXC051
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Video Card: 128MB ATI RADEON X600 SE
Video Card Driver: ati2dvag.dll 6.14.0010.6561
Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: sthda.sys 5.10.4823.0000
1. TV Card: n/a
1. TV Card Type: n/a
1. TV Card Driver: n/a
2. TV Card: n/a
2. TV Card Type: n/a
2. TV Card Driver: n/a
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I have a fairly large music collection and haev made sure that it is all tagged correctly (both ID3 v1 + V2). When I import my collection into MP most songs are imported with the correct Genre, however some are not. As an example I have one album where all songs in the "Alt. Rock (US)" genre (for v1 the genre is "Alt. Rock"). After the import 10 of the 11 tracks are in "Alt. Rock (US)" and the other one is in "Alternative"... not "Alt. Rock (US)" and not even the v1 tag of "Alt. Rock"

There are countless other examples of this happening (about 10% of 16300 tracks have incorrect genre). Is this a bug in the music database importer program?

mchadwick

Portal Member
March 2, 2006
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Anyone got any ideas whats going on with the Music Database Importer?
I would really like to use MP for playing my music, however, I'm still using iTunes as it is correctly reading the Genre information and I usually browse my collection by genre.

Is there any way to switch on some debug log for the Music DB importer? I know the log could be quite large but it may give me some clues as to why it is choosing a seemingly random genre for some songs.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi
    I see nobody is answering you...probably because nobody has had the same problem. I have never had any problems with my tags; I have over 10000 songs and all my tags work. Sorry, there must be something wrong with your tags.. I see you are also using version 0.2.0.0, which had a patch release (0.2.0.4), which you can try and see if it fixes your problem.

Sorry that I could not be of much help.

GeoV

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    can i get somewhere a file in question for trying it?
    please send me a PM with a url and i'll have a look into it.
    Most probably the new Tagreader that we have already in svn won't have the problem.
    If you upload a file i could verify it.

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    can i get somewhere a file in question for trying it?
    please send me a PM with a url and i'll have a look into it.
    Most probably the new Tagreader that we have already in svn won't have the problem.
    If you upload a file i could verify it.
    Thanks hwahrmann...
    I had assumed that there is something "wrong" with my tags but can't see anything odd using various tag editors... I'm in work at the moment but when I get home I'm PM you and arrange to send you 1 or 2 of the files that are giving me trouble.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    mchadwick,

had a look on the 3 samples you've sent me.
    It looks like the problem is with the old Tag reader, Tag.exe used in 0.2.0.
    In the SVN version we already use the new Tagreader and that gave me following results:

04 - Mama, You Been On My Mind.mp3 has the Genre in the ID3 v1 Tag as 81, which is correctly read as "Folk-Rock" by the Tagreader.

09 - Rubber Sled.mp3 has the Genre in a ID3v2 TCON frame, which is read correctly as "Alt. Rock (US)".

06 - Blue Jeans.mp3 - now this is the file which makes problems. It has a Genre Value of 132 in the ID3v1 Tag. The problem is that id3.org defines up to 125 possible values, including the Winamp extensions. see here.
    ID3-Tagit and GodFather are listing the Genre as "Brit.Pop". I've looked into the Genre list of TGF and found 150 Genre Values.
    Need to find the new ones and will add them to the code.

in short, upgrade to a latest SVN build and your Genres will be read correctly.

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Thanks for the help...
    I'll upgrade to the latest MP SVN build and re-import the music DB and will report back with the results

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    will do... it will probably be the weekend by the time I get a chance to do the update.
    thanks again for all help

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Reading ID3v1 instead of ID3v2....

This is still a problem for me... I upgraded to
    0.2.1.0-SVN-24.11.2006-14:27:09,22-Build 1ab1
    and re-imported the music DB

However, now the tag reader seems to be reading the ID3v1 tags for some MP3 files even though all of the files have valid ID3v2 tags...

This results in (for example) a single album of 13 songs being split with 12 of the 13 going into "Alt. Rock (Irish)" and 1 going into "Alternative Rock"... (even though the 1 that went into "Alternative Rock" has a valid ID3v2 genre of "Alt. Rock (Irish)")

Any help appreciated as to why some tracks the old version tags are being read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom