Individual folders or not?

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by bobrap, September 11, 2008.

1. bobrap
    • Premium Supporter

bobrap MP Donator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I currently have all my ISO and AVI files lumped into one directory, i.e. C:\ISO, c:\avi. When this plugin is "finished", what will be the preferred method of storage (want to get a head start if needed)? :D

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    The way you have it should be fine. When the plug-in scans for files it looks recursively, and you can set multiple watch folders, so everything should be picked up fine. The only real semi-requirement is the folders only contain movie files. If you have TV-Shows mixed in for example, the plug-in will incorrectly try to pick those up.

4. bobrap
    • Premium Supporter

bobrap MP Donator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
  5. eztiger

eztiger Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there any (long term) plan to merge tv handling in?

my tvseries is great but can be quite complicated. If moving pictures maintains its goal of simplicity it would be nice to have a one stop solution.

6. revs
    • Premium Supporter

revs MP Donator

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Home Country:
    Wales Wales
    I'm covering myself by naming the avi <film><year>.avi and putting that in a directory called <film><year> !!

99% are DVD Video-TS rips though.. so I must wait!

7. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    That would be very long term, if it ever even happens. The thought has of course crossed my mind, but as of right now and for the foreseeable future it will be movies only. But I think a lot could be done to improve the usability of MP-TVSeries, I think a whole new alternative plug-in is a bit drastic. Moving Pictures was created because I wanted a movies plug-in with fundamentally different design goals from MyVideos and MyFilms. MyVideos handles all sorts of media, not just movies, and because of that I feel like it lacks focus in the movies department. MyFilms is based on an external movie manager that may not just be used by MyFilms. This is an important feature for some, but it adds complexity. I didn't feel like it was possible to make either of those projects into what I wanted though, so I started on Moving Pictures. But for MP-TVSeries, I think it has a good foundation, a good base, and great design goals. Some of the older code is a little messy and the usability could be improved but this is not something a little bit of elbow grease couldn't fix. So I guess I am saying I'd rather see MP-TVSeries polished up than a new plug-in be created.

8. eztiger

eztiger Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the response - makes perfect sense!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!