Individual folders or not? (2 Viewers)

bobrap

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 22, 2006
    TN
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I currently have all my ISO and AVI files lumped into one directory, i.e. C:\ISO, c:\avi. When this plugin is "finished", what will be the preferred method of storage (want to get a head start if needed)? :D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    The way you have it should be fine. When the plug-in scans for files it looks recursively, and you can set multiple watch folders, so everything should be picked up fine. The only real semi-requirement is the folders only contain movie files. If you have TV-Shows mixed in for example, the plug-in will incorrectly try to pick those up.

eztiger

Portal Member
    February 17, 2008
    Is there any (long term) plan to merge tv handling in?

my tvseries is great but can be quite complicated. If moving pictures maintains its goal of simplicity it would be nice to have a one stop solution.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I'm covering myself by naming the avi <film><year>.avi and putting that in a directory called <film><year> !!

99% are DVD Video-TS rips though.. so I must wait!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country

my tvseries is great but can be quite complicated. If moving pictures maintains its goal of simplicity it would be nice to have a one stop solution.

That would be very long term, if it ever even happens. The thought has of course crossed my mind, but as of right now and for the foreseeable future it will be movies only. But I think a lot could be done to improve the usability of MP-TVSeries, I think a whole new alternative plug-in is a bit drastic. Moving Pictures was created because I wanted a movies plug-in with fundamentally different design goals from MyVideos and MyFilms. MyVideos handles all sorts of media, not just movies, and because of that I feel like it lacks focus in the movies department. MyFilms is based on an external movie manager that may not just be used by MyFilms. This is an important feature for some, but it adds complexity. I didn't feel like it was possible to make either of those projects into what I wanted though, so I started on Moving Pictures. But for MP-TVSeries, I think it has a good foundation, a good base, and great design goals. Some of the older code is a little messy and the usability could be improved but this is not something a little bit of elbow grease couldn't fix. So I guess I am saying I'd rather see MP-TVSeries polished up than a new plug-in be created.

eztiger

Portal Member
    February 17, 2008

That would be very long term, if it ever even happens. The thought has of course crossed my mind, but as of right now and for the foreseeable future it will be movies only. But I think a lot could be done to improve the usability of MP-TVSeries, I think a whole new alternative plug-in is a bit drastic. Moving Pictures was created because I wanted a movies plug-in with fundamentally different design goals from MyVideos and MyFilms. MyVideos handles all sorts of media, not just movies, and because of that I feel like it lacks focus in the movies department. MyFilms is based on an external movie manager that may not just be used by MyFilms. This is an important feature for some, but it adds complexity. I didn't feel like it was possible to make either of those projects into what I wanted though, so I started on Moving Pictures. But for MP-TVSeries, I think it has a good foundation, a good base, and great design goals. Some of the older code is a little messy and the usability could be improved but this is not something a little bit of elbow grease couldn't fix. So I guess I am saying I'd rather see MP-TVSeries polished up than a new plug-in be created.

Thanks for the response - makes perfect sense!

Users who are viewing this thread