Inproved MediaPortal svn installer (1 Viewer)

player-x

Portal Pro
February 4, 2005
Bergen, Norway
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Started on: 2008-05-18

Summary:
Different levels of SVN stability options

Area:
SVN updater

Description:
I love all the things you guys do but why don't you put more options in the downloader ?

whit different levels of stability to pick from.

1.Developer Version
(unstable, for alfa testers)
This is what the SVN updater dose now.

2.Preview Version
(mostly stable, for beta testers)
Weekly update, ware tested improvements in the daily SVN and there ware no more bugs reported is relaced to a bigger group of testers that can live whit MP crashing now and then and wane help MP-team out whit reporting some of the last bugs.

3.RC Version
(reasonable stable, for people that wants the latest but still whit some stability)
Monthly update, Same as 2 but whit less bugs

4.Release update Version
(stable, for people that wane run bug free, because the misses get really annoyed when MP crashes during her favorite soap serie)
Also monthly, but after bin in 3 for a X period of time no bugs ware found

5. Point release
(Standard point release only don't now if it should be done true a updater)

MP is build up from a lot of different block's
And we have on average 1 ~ 2 point releases a year.
But in the mean time between them some one can finish a nice part of it, like for example a simple update 100% stable that can make MP a lot more useful for you.
Now you can only use it if you install a SVN whit the danger of other components getting unstable.

By implementing my suggestion you would get something like the same as windows update, if something is fixed ore improved you get a update.

Only the difference from windows update you could pick the level of stability you can live whit.

For example i could live whit option Nr 3, because when i was running SVN the misses got really annoyed when MP was unstable

Also i think this would help the MP-team out because i think more people would try out a more/mostly stable SVN because now you only can choose between stable release and SVN

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom