Installation Guide (1 Viewer)

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Guys

I have just put together an Installation Guide for a mate of mine who wants to install MP so thought i would post a link to it here aswell for all to look at, the whole quide was written from my memory with what tweaks i have done etc Hope this can help other users aswell

The quide can be found at:

Edited 29/07/2007:

www.madazHTPC.com/manual/mpsetup.htm

If anyone has any suggestion as to steps i may have missed or other tricks i would love to hear from you

I am continually updating this guide so check back again

d508dq

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Melbourne
Trying out your setup guide

Mickyblue,

I'm trying out your setup guide... so far I've found it really helpful!

This is a great 'checklist' to work through and has just about the right level of detail... and some really good tips along the way (eg. stick with the default installation path...)

I've got as far as setting up Dugg...

I'll try to keep some notes and give you feedback once I'm done. I think this could be a really good starting point for a quick setup guide for the wiki. If the bits that are Australia-specific are marked as such, then it could be really helpful to those in other parts of the world too. Least that's what I think!

Thanks for this!

Noelix

Portal Pro
February 18, 2006
Salt Lake City, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I also used it as reference for the various Windows settings, thanks for putting it all together in one area. Almost all the information that is needed to setup Media Portal properly is not on the wiki, but in the forums, and it takes some time and effort to find the right instructions for the right product release. Keep it up.

mickyblue

Portal Pro
June 13, 2005
Brisbane Australia
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Almost all the information that is needed to setup Media Portal properly is not on the wiki, but in the forums, and it takes some time and effort to find the right instructions for the right product release

Yeah thats what i found as well i wont knock the developersas they are doing an amazing job but the documentation side of MP still needs a bit of work, but its hard for the documentation to keep up with the pace that new versions are released,

I spent months scouring the forums for all the little tips and alot have succeeded and alot didnt but if your prepared to stick with it, you can wind up with a rock solid Media Centre that simply "works"

I work in IT and my hours are all over the show and i find the Web interface absolutly brilliant the fact i can log into it and start a recording just amazes myself and my mates

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi mickyblue,

have a look at the mp wiki.
    if you do all the nice work anyhow, why not put that into the wiki?
    That should become some sort of the official mp documentation.
    would really help, if you could maintain that.

just my 2 cents.

Helmut

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    mickyblue - Your document is good and I agree with Helmut, put your talent to use for the greater good! Write in the MP wiki!

Mike

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    mzemina said:
    mickyblue - Your document is good and I agree with Helmut, put your talent to use for the greater good! Write in the MP wiki!

I agree - would be great if this installation guide is pu into the wiki!

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Currently in the process of updating this, would love to hear other peoples tricks maybe we could add them alltogether and make this a one stop shop setup/installation guide

Mickyblue

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    mickyblue,

On your guide page you mention that you have logos for Brisbane TV stations in a zip file, however, I couldn't see them. Are they still available?

thanks!

mickyblue

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    Brisbane Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    changed the location of my Setup guide

Hi Guys

I have moved my setup / install guide onto a new server / faster link, this can now be reached at:

www.madazHTPC.com/manual/mpsetup.htm

once i have this guide completed i will slowly copy the relevant sections into the wiki but at this stage its quicker for the changes to take effect on my server.

Hope you all find it usefull

Rhys

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom