Installed newest CVS: No TV-card found (SW) (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    First of all: I know taht SW-cards is not "supported" på RC2, but mine worked PERFECTLY until this last CVS (previous CVS was about a-week-or-two; everything worked GREAT).

Updated the CVS to get ridd of the font-error.

One would think that newer CVS should support MORE HW, not less!!!
    Can I "roll back" or somthing?

My tuner is a Medion 7134

csberto

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2004
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    Okay said:
    First of all: I know taht SW-cards is not "supported" på RC2, but mine worked PERFECTLY until this last CVS (previous CVS was about a-week-or-two; everything worked GREAT).

Updated the CVS to get ridd of the font-error.

One would think that newer CVS should support MORE HW, not less!!!
    Can I "roll back" or somthing?

My tuner is a Medion 7134
    Had that too. Had to run setup and add my TV-card again.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Setup (on newest CVS) coulden't find the card.

Extracted old CVS; no problem finding the SW card

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I know it was great that software cards were unofficially supported but I think this was ruined by the number of users who came to the forums to bitch about the lack of functions with software cards (ie, timeshift etc).

There were lots of comments like "Well, Meedio does it, so why can't MP?" and over time I think the devs got sick of it.

The majority of users here are great, but the very small minority can be pretty vocal. They register, whine about the things that MP should be able to do if it was any good and then leave. Unfortunatly the damage is done, the devs lose a little bit more patience and eventually leave.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of why software cards were totally removed. On the up-side, it's a good excuse to buy yourself a nice new TV card ;-)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thats just plain stupid; Removing a function that works perfectly?

So I thave the following choices;
    1. Buy a new HW-based TV-card (not gonna happen)
    2. Having latest CVS with font-fix, but blank TV
    3. Having old and buggy CVS and working TV

... or perhaps;
    4. Making my own CVS mix... keeping whatever files that recognices my card (anybody know wich?).

.. or even;
    5. Buying Meedio (not gonna happen - I think)

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay said:
    Thats just plain stupid; Removing a function that works perfectly?

Yeah, stupid indeed (sorry, but beat me to it :evil: ). When did the SW based cards ever work perfectly?

For example timeshift NEVER worked with sw cards. You say ok, I can live without timeshift, I just want to watch normal TV, no recordings, timeshifting etc. Well, that's fine and I know this situation very well: I have only the HTPC with a HW card while my desktop has a SW one that came with the PC.

But as mentioned above many users didn't understand this and asked for SW timeshifting every day or two, also with arguments like "watching works, why not recording, my XY software can do SW recording". So it was the only chance to remove SW card support completely and concentrate to the newer technologies like HW encoding and digital cards.

Though, I think, if there's an interested dev joining the team who concentrates on integrating a full SW card support and does his job well, there will be good chance that this feature will make it into CVS again...

So start coding ;-)

Maschine

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I am not a programer...

Even so; It's hard to see the logic of removing all support for SW based just 'couse some ppl whine....

Anyway; How can I keep "old" SW support, but use parts of new CVS (like the graph.bug fix?

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay said:
    I am not a programer...
    Too bad for you...

Okay said:
    Even so; It's hard to see the logic of removing all support for SW based just 'couse some ppl whine....
    No, actually it's not that hard.

Okay said:
    Anyway; How can I keep "old" SW support, but use parts of new CVS (like the graph.bug fix?
    I wouldn't do a mix of versions as misfunctions are pretty sure then...

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Okay said:
    3. Having old and buggy CVS and working TV

So, since you haven't the skills to program something yourself and don't want anything that you have to pay for then your choice is simple.

The only real bugs that I had with the easrlier cvs was the issue with tiny dots on top of one or two letters.
    Given a choice of that or *any* TV, I know what I would put up with in your circumstances...

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but this is a prime example of what I was saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom