Integrated Receiver (1 Viewer)

PeterFup

July 22, 2006
Denmark
If I then buy this Logitech Speaker Kit: Z-5500 Digital .
Is this something that can deliver a really good sound and still play loud?
Is it possible to connect my own speakers to this sub or is the included speakers just as good?

/Peter

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    PeterFup said:
    If I then buy this Logitech Speaker Kit: Z-5500 Digital .
    Is this something that can deliver a really good sound and still play loud?
    Is it possible to connect my own speakers to this sub or is the included speakers just as good?

/Peter

The Z5500's pack quite the punch alright! For the price it's fantastic, but whether you're happy with it after a component based setup depends entirely on your ears. The set I have has standard speaker wire so I guess you could use your own speakers, but when I was researching I think there were some with proprietary cables, so be careful.

I have the Microsoft MCE remote volume buttons programmed to change the volume on the 5500's and not the PC, but you still need the Logitech remote to change the subwoofer, source input, and so forth on the control center (which is really just a small reciever). I can't see the advantage the 5500's would have over buying a new reciever?

O

~ok|

IMHO the best sound available under 300€; it can play quite loud (505W RMS) w/out hearable distortion. Nevertheless, you won't be able to plug in your own speaker set; technically you can but I don't known if they will sound the way they were supposed to. And if you want to fully replace the provided speakers with your own, you must be in 5.1 (6 speakers) and be impedance/wattage compliant to make full use of the receiver.

What was your old receiver? Maybe that will be cheaper and easier to replace it with the same model. The 2 floorspeakers looks much better than the ones bundled with the Z-5500, that would be a pity to drop them.

If I want to use channels from cable I would need the analog tuner, right?
    If you meant that you want to watch cable broadcasts then you may try a DVB-C card supported by MediaPortal rather than an analogic one.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    PeterFup said:
    To give an idea of what I have and am trying.

I have:
    2 floorspeakers like this. An older model but almost the same.
    1 Center Speaker - also System Audio
    2 Rear speakers - also System Audio

My receiver is broken.

I would like to use these speakers with the Media Center, but control volume etc from the pc and not the receiver (that I don't have).[...]
    Just to helpme understand: if you buy any replacement for your current receiver, can't you change the volume, just by adapting your PC's system volume?
    I use a receiver as well (stereo) and have once played some sample music on the PC at maximum volume out. I calibrated the volume setting of my receiver to some fair balance between my neighbours and my preferences and never touched the receiver since (just turn it of for vacations). I allways use my PC (+remote) to control the volume.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    this is the way to go when you use analogue output... when you use SPDIF (and AC3/DTS), cannot be done

peterfup, if you want to connect your big speakers directly to a computer, you will still need a pre-amp, that can drive your speakers (same Ohm and not crazy Watt difference)... maybe I misunderstood you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom