[INTEL] Intel G35 or Asus EN8500GT Silent (512MB) (1 Viewer)

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I've been using the onboard G35 for some time now, the advantage being that I have HDMI audio and video straight to my AV receiver - it's a one cable solution.

I play back .mkv, and all my content quite happily.

I have recently got MediaPortal TV working, and am now using the main machine as the TV server with one (soon to be two) client on the network.

TV is all via ISDB-T (Brazilian DVB-T) and there are a number of HD Channels. While I am still playing around with what codecs to use, I am wondering if putting the EN8500GT 512MB card back into the HTPC will give me more potential for HDTV playback, over the G35. It will mean some change around on how I connect things, but seems like it might be a better option?

What do you think? Is this going to give any advantage?

Last question - on the TV client side, which machine is doing the Graphics Processing - client or server?
:D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    dunno about G35 performance, but I do know the 8500GT is too slow a videocard for 1080i HDTV, it maybe ok with progressive. If you were asking, "should i buy an 8500 or 8600GT?" I would say No, because you would be safer with a faster card if you want HDTV.

Client does graphics processing, actually the server does bugger all and can be run on a very old computer.

EDIT: I see you have fast CPU, if you wanted to improve live hdtv performance I would use a codec that DOESN'T use hardware acceleration and relies more on your fast cpu. eg. CoreAVC

PS. Yes I know coreavc does use some gpu power, but it is less reliant that other codecs eg. PDVD. If you want to install CoreAVC, google "HD Pack 2.3" then when you install just choose coreavc and unclick all the other options, then add coreavc under h264:tv codecs.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Many thanks - that's useful to know.

I will stick with the G35 for the moment I think, as it does work (as long as I use the old driver versions), and I will give those codecs a try.

Thanks again!

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Maybe I am being a Muppet, but I cannot find HD pack 2.3

I can find 2.4 (no CoreAVC) and 2.2 (no CoreAVC) and I can find just about every 1.x version, but no 2.3 :)

I am missing something here?

I went to the website and even tried to purchase the latest version, but their e-commerce site is so poor, it would not accept my PayPal of credit card purchase - I emailed them to ask for help, no reply. Gents, if you want to sell software, let people pay you for it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom