Interesting one - video plays fine... no audio (1 Viewer)

JonoMg

Portal Member
March 16, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

Got an interesting one for you. The video in My Trailers (2.0.4) plays fine but there is no audio being played at all. I am not getting the 'audio codec' error at all. Both MKVs and AVIs play fine through Moving Pictures and MP-TVSeries, it's just the audio in here.

I am guessing it is a codec thing, but I have no idea where to even start looking... or how to.

If someone is going to be kind enough to post a response on this, and you think it is to do with the codecs, please let me know which of the codec settings to change in the MediaPortal configuration.

Thanks heaps,

Jono

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
You should reinstall SAF filter package if you haven't already along with QT Alternative. That should ensure proper playback. I personally use Windows 7 which has native support for .mov files etc. so I have no need for QT but I wholeheartedly recommend you do an install of SAF. It should handle any codec issues you come into contact with. Best part is that it doesn't clutter your system with 10000+1 codecs you have no need for not to mention being outdated.

JonoMg

Portal Member
March 16, 2009
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi Drealit.

The only thing I am hesitant to blast all the existing working codecs as I really don't know what I am doing around them :s

If I install SAF, can I always reset everything back to ffdshow (as I currently have it set) and it should resume working for the AVI and MKV files?

Are you able to point out the actual codec setting in the MP Configuration that is used for audio on My Trailers so that I only modify that one?

Cheers,

Jono

PS. Am also on Win7 if that's relevant.

PPS. Also - out of interest, I downloaded a test MOV file as well as MPC-HC as referenced in the SAF thread (under Problems - in red bold); and that file played fine with the sound. Am going to now test to see if I can get it to play in MediaPortal via the Moving Pictures plugin.

PPPS. OK - file wouldn't play through Moving Pictures... maybe an issue, maybe something else... hopefully you guys will tell me. FYI - the error displayed when I attempted to play the MOV file was;
"Unable to play: test.mov"

Video codec: GIF
Audio codec: QDESIGN2"

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
I believe FFDshow should be set as your default audio in the Codecs and Renderer section. Other than that you really will need to be analyzing Graphedit to see what exactly is happening during playback.

I do highly recommend uninstalling whatever codecs, filters, packs you have installed (completely clean up and get fresh so there are no more complications) currently and go with the community approved SAF package. It's specifically designed to ensure complete/functional playback under MediaPortal for most video file types and has a high level of support from the community and its developer horborg. You can view the original thread here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...dalone-filters-dxva-ready-h-264-vc-1-a-44614/ which is also where you can find the package if you decide to try it. Also SAF utilizes MPC-HC + FFDshow now so you won't be completely straying from what you're used to.

I speak from my own personal experience and that of close local friends (not to mention countless experiences online) that this package will handle most if not all of your codec issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom