Interference when using Wireless Laptop near TV (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

This is a slightly random question, but I have recently noticed that my HTPC (single seat) seems to drop frames / stutter when I am using my Macbook with my new Netgear wireless N router (my HTPC is connected to the same router via 1000 Mbps wired connection). The interference is at it's worst when the data transfer through the wireless connection is highest. I have only had the new wireless N router for about 6 weeks but noticed the problem since installing 1.1.0 RC1 (3 weeks ago)

If I connect the Macbook to the router via a 1000 Mbps wired connection, then there are no problems at all, but if I connect using wireless N, I get the problem.

My HTPC is connected to my Amp (using about 3 m cable length) via HDMI and SPDIF (SPDIF through separate cable) and the Amp connected to the TV using just an HDMI cable.

So, why would this problem be bad on a wireless connection but not a wired connection. Is there anything I can do to investigate it? I even thought it might be ElectroMagnetic Interference, but surely that would be unlikely. I doubt EMI would effect the PC itself and surely any interference in the cables would not manifest itself as frame drops, but more like general interference????

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this??

Thanks

Rob

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: X-Factor
    Windows Version: XP SP3
    CPU Type: Intel E7400
    HDD: 700 GB on 2 drives (3 volumes) locally with 1GB FreeNAS
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L
    Video Card: NVIDIA 9400GT
    Video Card Driver: NVIDIA Latest
    Sound Card: Onboard REALTEK
    Sound Card AC3: Coaxial Out
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle 300i
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    2. TV Card: Compro Videomate S350
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    2. TV Card Driver: Latest
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink 9
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink 9
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UK Freesat
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Cyberlink
    TV: Toshiba (not sure of model will check later but 32" and about 3 years old)
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Does sound like the wireless activity is feeding back through the router.

What I would try, change WLAN frequency 1 through to 13 and see if any one makes a difference, reboot router usually required, don't do this with pending recordings.

Last resort try the MSLoopback adapter, as you are using singleseat, will try and update instructions to include MySQL5.1 today.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I have tried a couple of different channels, but no luck.

I might try setting the router to wireless G only to see if that make a difference.

I will try later tonight.

Thanks

Rob

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hmmmmmm…. the HTPC doesn’t have any wireless cards or Bluetooth transceiver does it? Even if not being used, disable them, and see what happens… Basically any radio transceiver…
    In XP use hardware manager and select the device and select disable
    Looking at your hardware do any of the tuners have RF interface for remote? Try disabling them and see if anything changes.
    Pinnacle 300i
    DVB-T
    Compro Videomate S350
    DVB-S

By the way... if you look at this picture of the wi-fi spectrum it becomes clear why you only need to try channels 1,6, or 11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_(802.11b,g_WLAN).svg

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I have a little more information on this now.

It seems that it even happens if I am using PDVD to watch a Blueray disc.

With this in mind, it would seem to be a pure EMI issue. I will do some more investigation over the next couple of days and see if I can characterise what is going on.

I suppose it could be and EMI issue with my Denon AV Amp even???

P.S. I don't have any wireless systems on my HTPC and none of the cards use an RF remote.

Rob

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Well I have done some more experimentation, and it definitely seems to NOT be EMI problems and must be network interference.

I have connected the HTPC to a standalone network switch and the problem has gone away.

With the HTPC connected to the main router, I have tried different wireless settings (using g only, different channels etc etc) and nothing has fixed the problem.

I can only assume that this is a problem with my new router (Netgear DGN3500). Hopefully there will be a fix out soon as they usually give an upgrade to the early firmware after release.

Unless anyone has any other ideas? - p.s. if I use the loopback, will my normal network access continue to operate? p.p.s. why would this affect videos in PDVD???

Thanks.

Robbo100

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Unless anyone has any other ideas? - p.s. if I use the loopback, will my normal network access continue to operate? p.p.s. why would this affect videos in PDVD???/QUOTE]

The loopback adapter is only of use for singleseat setup, it does not affect your ability to access the internet, or for MP plugins to get their goodies from the net :)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Thanks PD,

Also, just to be absolutely sure, can you confirm that I will still be able to allow MP to access my NAS? - I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but just to make sure.

I have no idea why my wireless laptop is causing this problem, the HTPC is connected wired to the router, so the wireless connection must be sending some unwanted packets to the other PC for some reason.

I may put wireshark on my HTPC and see if I can identify what is going on.

Rob

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    PD et al.

I have done two screen graps from wireshark which shows the type of network activity with the Macbook pluged into a wired connection, vs the Macbook connected through wireless N (both wired and wirelss go direct to the same router). Screen grabs attached.

Clearly it can be seen that with wireless N in use, there is a massive amount of nasty network traffic from 109.168.1.3 (the Macbook IP address, with .2 being the HTPC IP address).

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this????

Robbo100

Attachments

• Wireshark.rar
      30.6 KB

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    April 11, 2005
    Brussels
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Could you save and post the actual logs. I work in networking and have a few colleagues that work with Macs. With the actual files, we can load them in Wireshark ourselves and try to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom