Intermediate focus state for skin controls (1 Viewer)

Sambal

Portal Pro
February 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The fix for Mantis #1755 in revision 20710 introduces a new problem. With this fix you now have a intermediate state between focus of two items. This introduces annoying flicker on some skins.

Let me explain..

Assume you have a screen with a default background, two buttons 'a' and 'b' and a alternative background (fanart of some sort) which is only visible when button 'a' or 'b' has focus. This is actually the case in the Aeon wide skin.

We give button 'a' focus which makes the alternative background visible.
Next we move focus to button 'b'. The alternative background is still visible because we shifted focus from 'a' to 'b'.

This used to work fine until this fix. Focus transfer is now a two step process. First button 'a' is unfocused. After this unfocus action visibility for all controls is recalculated, the intermediate state. You now have both button 'a' and 'b' unfocused and thus the default background will show. Next button 'b' gets focus and visibility is calculated yet again. Now showing the alternate background again because button 'b' has focus.

The result is a short flash of the default background.

I looked at the original mantis issue but didn't really understand what the problem was. At least i couldn't reproduce it.

Maybe if someone can explain to me what the original issue was i can see if i can come up with a alternate solution.

Sambal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom