Internal Decoding of DTS/DD HD (1 Viewer)

giladgaron

Portal Member
October 15, 2007
Hello,

With all the influx of mkv movies supporting DTS/DD HD I would like to add the ability to play HD sound tracks on my HTPC.
Since my A/V Receiver does not support the HD format, I need a different solution.

currently I use my HTPC on board optical connection to bitstream DTS and DD to my receiver, if it's an audio HD track, I encode it to DD.

I thought about buying a soundcard like the Xonar? to decode all the digital soundtracks and them pass them to the A/V receiver via analog connection.
But when thinking about it I don't if that option even exists, ffdshow does not decode the audio HD formats?

I searched and searched and I can't seem to find a thread that relates to this.
Any thoughts? how can I decode DTS HD / DD HD inside Mediaportal and output them to my non HD receiver?

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Vista 32bit
CPU Type: AMD 5400X2
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard: GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ok for starters your S/PDIF connection can only carry non HD audio so you are limited to stereo and DD/DTS using that connection. So to get anything like HD audio you need to use either HDMI or analogue connections.

Also the second thing is there is no way of decoding DTS HD so no matter what you do there is no software to sort this out for you.

TrueHD is slightly different in that the very latest SVN versions of FFDShow will decode it so it is possible to output his as LPCM over HDMI or analogue.

DTS HD is built around a standard DTS core so even if a video has a DTS HD track you will get audio but it will only be standard DTS.

giladgaron

Portal Member
    October 15, 2007
    Ok, So you're saying I can decode TrueHD and output it as LPCM over analog,
    But I cannot do the same with DTS-HD.
    Is that ever going to be possible?

Maybe I should start saving for HD A/V

Thanks.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Basically yes. The problem is MP needs a directshow decoder and no-one has managed to create an open-source one yet

Will not help you. The latest SVN version of FFDShow will allow you to bitstream a DTS HD track to a capable amp but there is still no way with a HDAV to get DTS HS to your existing amp

giladgaron

Portal Member
    October 15, 2007
    Basically yes. The problem is MP needs a directshow decoder and no-one has managed to create an open-source one yet

Will not help you. The latest SVN version of FFDShow will allow you to bitstream a DTS HD track to a capable amp but there is still no way with a HDAV to get DTS HS to your existing amp

I meant start saving for a new amp that supports decoding DTS-HD and TruHD and bitstream the output to that amp.

Thank you for your help. :D

giladgaron

Portal Member
    October 15, 2007
    Another question if I may, If I use an external player like TotalMedia Theatre, could I decode DTS-HD and output it as analog LPCM?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Another question if I may, If I use an external player like TotalMedia Theatre, could I decode DTS-HD and output it as analog LPCM?
    You it should work (btw LPCM is still digital just raw decoded audio, you need HDMI for LPCM) but you may find that not all files work as you would think. I use TMT to playback bluray discs launch from MP but I use the internal player for everything else (but I have a Xonar HDAV and an amp capable of decoding DTS HD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom