Internationalization (or I18N for short) (1 Viewer)

orencha

Portal Pro
February 2, 2005
Netanya
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi

I'm interested in making MP work with languages that use non-european characters, such as Hebrew. Can anyone help?

The main problem for me, is displaying Hebrew characters. For example, if filenames are written in Hebrew, all I see is ?? ????? ??? ???? ??? question marks instead of the real characters. Once THIS problem is solved, translating the XML language file is an easy task.

I know that in many Windows applications, When I choose a font I can also choose the right "Encoding" (aka "Script") for it, ie: "Arial (Western)", "Arial (Hebrew)", "Arial (Greek)" etc. Is it possible that current release of MP is hardcoded with one of them? (probably "Western")?

My O/S is configured for Hebrew and all other apps display Hebrew with no problem.

1) Is it possible to change the "encoding" of the display? (make it language- or locale-specific)?

2) Is there a limitation due to the font "caching" mechanism currently used (ie not all characters are cached, so not all characters can be displayed)? If this is the case, I think it is the right time to re-think this mechanism... I beleive I18N problems will rise as MP becomes more popular... If the skinning mechanism should be changed, better do it ASAP before too many "non-compatible" skins are created.

Thank you all...
- Oren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom