Internationalization (or I18N for short) (1 Viewer)

orencha

Portal Pro
February 2, 2005
Netanya
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi

I'm interested in making MP work with languages that use non-european characters, such as Hebrew. Can anyone help?

The main problem for me, is displaying Hebrew characters. For example, if filenames are written in Hebrew, all I see is ?? ????? ??? ???? ??? question marks instead of the real characters. Once THIS problem is solved, translating the XML language file is an easy task.

I know that in many Windows applications, When I choose a font I can also choose the right "Encoding" (aka "Script") for it, ie: "Arial (Western)", "Arial (Hebrew)", "Arial (Greek)" etc. Is it possible that current release of MP is hardcoded with one of them? (probably "Western")?

My O/S is configured for Hebrew and all other apps display Hebrew with no problem.

1) Is it possible to change the "encoding" of the display? (make it language- or locale-specific)?

2) Is there a limitation due to the font "caching" mechanism currently used (ie not all characters are cached, so not all characters can be displayed)? If this is the case, I think it is the right time to re-think this mechanism... I beleive I18N problems will rise as MP becomes more popular... If the skinning mechanism should be changed, better do it ASAP before too many "non-compatible" skins are created.

Thank you all...
- Oren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the next release. We allocate about one month for Pre Release testing. In that time we will only fix bugs, after which comes the final release! Highlights of this release Bugfixes: [MP1-4969] - Fix typo in...
Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the...
Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the...
Replies
Views
Sad to see you replied so late, I've long since moved from 32bit to 64bit, so you've gone through all that trouble to help me for nothing. Thanks anyway. Emph
Sad to see you replied so late, I've long since moved from 32bit to 64bit, so you've gone through all that trouble to help me for...
************************************************* EDIT 2019-04-29: New version, see Gitlad for change log. Thank you SINCowboy So...
Replies
Views
Ah ok, I thought you ment from FullEPG. For MiniEPG the problem is known (therefore I just use FullEPG). Root cause is, that the MiniEPG is only an overlay and not indepentent screen, so it's not part of the workflow history. ESC is defined to bring you back one step in the workflows. In your case this would be the screen before...
Ah ok, I thought you ment from FullEPG. For MiniEPG the problem is known (therefore I just use FullEPG). Root cause is, that the...
After many years with MP1, I gave MP2 a try. Reasons: - I like the centralized media management - constant problems with freezing...
Replies
Views
Hi Edalex, thanks. Sadly the plugin isn't finished yet. I had some issues at work ad I had to halt the development. Feel free to clone the repository and fix what needs to be fixed, if you want and have time.
Hi Edalex, thanks. Sadly the plugin isn't finished yet. I had some issues at work ad I had to halt the development. Feel free to...
Hello there, I'm a long user of Mediaportal but I always managed to fix my problems without having to start new threads. This time...
Replies
Views
Historical reasons, so that if you update to a new version and it fails, you can go back to old one. As to why it keeps more than just the "previous" one, that I don't know. Probably made sense when it was designed (y)
Historical reasons, so that if you update to a new version and it fails, you can go back to old one. As to why it keeps more than...
The IMDb+ scraper-script and plugin combination for Moving-Pictures is the first scraper to support custom options, allowing you to...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom