Iptv / cam (1 Viewer)

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Hello community,
    I would like some information on one thing. I have IPTV from Vodafone here in Iceland. I can watch the free tv channels through MP using the DVB-IP filter. But I want to watch the encrypted one that I have payed for in MP also. After some reading it looks like I need some CI module with a CAM card. Is that right? Vodafone supplies Conax CAM card, so if my understanding is right what CI module should I get?

Kjartan

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    Lucky you! (My IPTV provider doesn't use a smart card).

You got it right, you do need a CI module and a CAM.
    You should first find more info regarding:
    - What type of CAM is needed?
    - Does your provider pair the smartcard and CAM?

Oh, btw:
    ci-slot-300x201.gif

A: Smartcard
    B: CAM
    C: CI

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    My provider pair the smartcard and the CAM module. So I only need the CI module, so, what CI module would you recommend?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi kjarrig

I'm actually not sure that you can use a hardware CI slot with the DVB-IP tuner. I also don't know whether you can buy "loose" CI slot interfaces for a PC - CI slots tend to be paired with a tuner card, and each tuner manufacturer seems to have their own design.

mm

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Hi mm1352000,
    I'm not sure that I understand you. "I also don't know whether you can buy "loose" CI slot interfaces for a PC - CI slots tend to be paired with a tuner card, and each tuner manufacturer seems to have their own design."
    It is Conax CAM card. It has smart card in it. So you say that if I buy FireDTV, it may not work with the Conax card? If my understanding is right, then I have to find out if Conax makes a CI slot?

Thank you for your help.

Kjartan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again kjarrig

I'm not sure that I understand you. "I also don't know whether you can buy "loose" CI slot interfaces for a PC - CI slots tend to be paired with a tuner card, and each tuner manufacturer seems to have their own design."
    It is Conax CAM card. It has smart card in it. So you say that if I buy FireDTV, it may not work with the Conax card?
    What I'm saying is that you can't use the FireDTV CI slot to decrypt DVB-IP channels... or channels received by another tuner. It can only be used to decrypt channels received by the FireDTV. Likewise, the Terratec Cinergy CI slot card can't be used. That only works with the Cinergy C and S series cards that have the ribbon cable connector, and it can only be used to decrypt channels being received by the tuner that it is connected to.

If my understanding is right, then I have to find out if Conax makes a CI slot?
    Something like that, or a hardware DVB-IP tuner that has a CI slot.

mm

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello community,
    I would like some information on one thing. I have IPTV from Vodafone here in Iceland. I can watch the free tv channels through MP using the DVB-IP filter. But I want to watch the encrypted one that I have payed for in MP also. After some reading it looks like I need some CI module with a CAM card. Is that right? Vodafone supplies Conax CAM card, so if my understanding is right what CI module should I get?

Kjartan

Hi!

I wonder the same. I have IPTV from Telenor, and they have unfortunately started to pair the smart card with their STBs. Unfortunately customer support claims that there will be no CAM modules :) Telenor will only support their official STB, and they will not pair smart cards with other STBs or CAM modules. :(

You are lucky to have a CAM paired with your smart card, but I think that the IPTV filter developers needs to add support for standalone CI modules. I know that Hauppauge provided USB CI modules some years ago, but I'm not sure if they produce it any more.

Regards,
    PK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi PK

I have IPTV from Telenor, and they have unfortunately started to pair the smart card with their STBs. Unfortunately customer support claims that there will be no CAM modules :) Telenor will only support their official STB, and they will not pair smart cards with other STBs or CAM modules. :(
    The pairing means it is effectively impossible for you to receive these channels with MediaPortal. Such practises really annoy me. The only thing we can really do is refuse to subscribe to such a provider and complain to the customer service representatives.

...but I think that the IPTV filter developers needs to add support for standalone CI modules. I know that Hauppauge provided USB CI modules some years ago, but I'm not sure if they produce it any more.
    I guess you're talking about the WinTV CI. Such a device is designed to work with Hauppauges hardware. It is unlikely to work with other hardware, and is even less likely to work with the IPTV filter. In other words, it is not a true standalone CI module at all. I'm not aware of any true standalone CI modules...

mm

paalkr

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I agree!

The paring was an unnecessary action to carry out from the provider. Without a subscription you had no opportunity to watch IPTV because the "signals" was not broadcasted to your router anyway. This means that the paring only was put into action to stop us use 3. party equipment like MediaPortal. When the STB that Telenor provides is the worst peace of hardware ever (you can't even imagine how bad it is), this whole ting makes me even more frustrated.

MediaPortal worked fine for approx half a year after they launched the service. I did a lot of research on how to consume the IPTV channels in Media Portal and posted a how to, and provided a complete m3u file that is now part of MePo trunk! I even posted a in detail description an all necessary preconfigured Md**i files on a Norwegian forum (yes, it was within the forum rules), to help people use Media Portal with IPTV from Telenor.

I just start to wonder if the paring still had been turned of if I hadn't share all that info, I guess not. The paring must have been part of the road map all the time. Telenor owns the company that develop Conax CAS, so I guess this was a good case to show that CAS5/7 with paring works OK (from a content providers prospective) with IPTV equipment.

BTW I have updated the how to thread.

Regards,
    PK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom