IR Blasting, MCE Remote help needed (1 Viewer)

JaLooNz

Portal Member
March 13, 2008
Home Country
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo/widescreen
Windows Version: Vista x86 Ultimate
CPU Type: AMD BE-2350 (45W X2 varient)
HDD: Seagate 250GB x2
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Motherboard: Biostar TA690
Motherboard Chipset: AMD690
Motherboard Bios: R69AMC13
Video Card: Onboard AMD X1250
Video Card Driver: AMD Catalyst 8.3
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: -
Sound Card Driver: -
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR150MCE
1. TV Card Type: Analog
1. TV Card Driver: Vista 4.0CD
2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR1100
2. TV Card Type: Hybrid (/wo HW MPEG enc)
2. TV Card Driver: Vista 4.0CD
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD / Vista Bundled / Intervideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec: PowerDVD / Vista Bundled / Intervideo
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Starhub
HTPC Case: Sliverstone GD01MX /w iMon LCD
Remote: MCE Remote /w IR Blaster, iMon Remote
TV: Samsung 32" LCD LA32S81BX
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA (HDMI soon when cable comes in)

Hi,

I am experimenting with Mediaportal and have limited success. For now I have only installed the PVR150MCE but after things work well, I will install the HVR1100 for digital transmission. However, before that I need to iron out some issues.

1) LiveTV
The main screen blacks out for a while before LiveTV is launched. Is this normal? (ie a seperate application?)

2) MCE Remote
I have gotten the MCE remote working quite well with Mediaportal, but only if it has launched. However, I cannot get Mediaportal to be launched when the Green Media center button is pressed, or any of the guide / liveTV / etc buttons. They will launch Vista Media center instead. I have tried disabling the Vista Media Center services but it still persists launching. Or is it better to use the iMon remote instead? (Even though the IR unit still needs to be plugged in for the IR blaster)

3) IR Blasting
I have managed to get the IR blasting codes correctly setup and the STB will change channels correctly. However, after some experimenting with random things, the live TV appears to stop working with the IR blasting application (IR Server Suite). I have no idea what's wrong, and have disabled / re-enabled the plugin to no success.

4) LiveTV
For some reason Vista MCE hogs the TV tuner and refuses to let Mediaportal handle it, even after I disabled the service. Is there anyway to totally remove the MCE? Thus LiveTV cannot be used and I see no overrides to force the control of the tuner over to Mediaportal.

5) Crash on start
When I config Mediaportal to start on startup (which should solve the Remote problem), It mostly crash on start. However, a manual start after the system has stablised works with no problems. Any ideas to resolve that too?

The reason why I would like to change to Mediaportal is the difficulty in getting Vista MCE to work right. The IR blasting configuration requires me try lots of times until its fine, and the difficulty in getting the EPG working right with TVxB downloaded guides gives me a headache. Mediaportal has nice configuration and is more functional in the configuration, but having plugins not work is a problem.

Another nice point of Mediaportal is the iMon LCD plugin, which finally gives me some joy in buying the expensive silverstone case that therotically can support unicode characters, and all the fancy features. Nothing is better than watching it display useful information, instead of the crappy support that goes with Vista MCE and Soundgraph's software suite.

One thing I have not yet tested is the S3 sleep support and the recording features, due to the problems with the tuner. Will I face any potential issues? I have gotten S3 to satisfaction with MCE.

I hope not having to downgrade to XP to get rid of the media center. Why MS doesn't provide a uninstallation option puzzles me.

Thanks!!!:D

ghanz

Portal Pro
September 18, 2007
Ouderkerk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Seems that most of your problems would be solved by disabeling vista mce via the registry. I have done this succesfully. Open my thread in ongoing htpc projects, high end htpc mp based and there is reply with a link telling you how!

Works like a charm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom