IR receiver stopped working (1 Viewer)

felixbbb031

Portal Pro
October 24, 2011
..tu iza čoška
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
my ir reciver stop working. i cant see it anymore in computer managment under USB controllers. i tried rear and front usb hubs. is there any driver that i can try it? thanks :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What's the make and model of your receiver?
    Did you change something for it to stop working, installed or removed software, OS update?
    Can you test it on another PC and see if it works there?

felixbbb031

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2011
    ..tu iza čoška
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    its a HP remote and reciver,you know,from ebay. i did upgrade to win 10,and after few days after upgrade remote was working perfectly.few days remote stop working so i just connect reciver to front usb hub and it was alright. today remote stop work again. i have polled back to win7. problem is that i am not close to my htpc anymore. thats my daughters pc and now i am in another country.all i can do it now ,is conect from teamviewer... whole situation makes me sad now...

Attachments

• Desktop.rar
      10.8 KB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not sure I can help much I'm afraid. Sounds more like a system issue rather than a MediaPortal issue.
    I've had issues in the past with HP receiver that would stop working properly on rare occasion. Rebooting usually fixed it.
    I've not had such issues in a long while though. However I'm not using that HP receiver anymore.
    Windows 10 has been working just fine for me on multiple hardware both upgrade and clean install.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using an Inteset PC-IRS5-01 Universal Infrared Receiver (internal).
    Though you should be fine with your HP one to be honest.
    I just experience that bug I was referring to earlier with a genuine Microsoft IR receiver.
    When it occurs only Arrows and OK buttons are working on the remote, Back button and most other buttons are not working.
    I unplugged and re-plugged the receiver and that fixed it. I'm not sure what triggers it. Your issue might be unrelated.
    I recall other people having the same issue in rare situations.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    my ir reciver stop working. i cant see it anymore in computer managment under USB controllers.
    I recall other people having the same issue in rare situations.
    There has been a problem with WMC RC6 IR receivers for years. :eek: The problem that was consistently reported on www.TheGreenButton.tv was that of the IR receiver malfunctioning on wake from sleep or wake from hibernation.

No one ever found a solution, but only some people encountered the problem. The cause may be due to some timing issue during Windows wake-up processing, and probably depends on such things as the speed of your CPU, the speed of your hard disk, and what other hardware is installed in your system.

I experienced this problem with a Dell-branded version of the Philips IR receiver when I used WMC, and I have continued to experience it with MP. For me it occurs (on average) about once every two weeks, but sometimes more often, and other times less often. The solution that works for me is simply to unplug the IR receiver, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it in again; no reboot is necessary. So I suggest trying that first, to see if it solves your problem.

This problem is one of the two reasons for using the Ortek/Hama remote and matching IR receiver. Because they are not WMC RC6 devices, they don't use the Microsoft IR driver, and as a result don't suffer from this problem. However, they do suffer from other "quirks", so they are not a straight-forward recommendation. I currently use a Harmony 650 loaded with the Ortek code definitions.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread