Irda and any remote WORKS! contrary to other reports! (1 Viewer)

drinu

September 5, 2008
All,

I have just stumbled upon MediaPortal and got very exited as I have been a follower of XMBC almost since inception!

I have now bought a High Def TV and the poor XBOX is not really up to the task so have taken on replacing it.

I have a dual core laptop which is very much capable of decoding high def media and am planning to use it as the media streaming appliance to my TV from the network.

I very much wanted to use the Onboard Infra red to control MCE or better still media portal now.

I have researched this extensivley (last couple of days!) and as I was about to give up due to a large number of reports saying the it is not possible due to hardware and frequency incompatibilities between remotes and the IRDA I stumbled on a report describing frequencies multipliers etc. Cutting a long story short I have now managed to get 4 seperate remotes of different spec to control Windows Media Player:

These remotes are:
The new remote for the SONY high def tv - I programmed the Bravia sync - play, stop and pause
The XBOX 1.0 remote (play, stop and pause)
A hauupauge remote (as above)
A very old (Panasonic I think!) VCR (as above)

These all work in pausing, stopping an starting videos running on Windows Media Player.

This prooves that generic remotes work (the laptop is only a DELL!!) and in essence to achieve this is very simple - the main thing is to modify the IR in the Windows XP device manager and reduce the speed limit to 38.4kbps (this is due to the carrier frequency - and when it was on max or other settings the it does not work)

The software I used to translate this is IrRC-Lite-Setup from Sphinx soft - IrDA Remote Control - IrRC : Sphinx Software
and just programmed those 3 buttons (you need to tap tap tap not hold the button as described)

While this works in Windows Media Player and prooved that any laptop is capable of translating IR signals from any (at least the once I tried all work!) It does not work with MediaPortal - or at least I did not get any of the other software mentioned in these forums including - IRServer suite - or Girder to work. I think it might need to be a plugin?

If any of you are more familiar with media portal and the associated ir tools and manage to take this information and get it to work in media portal I would very much appreciate to know the settings / plugins required.

peters0n

April 12, 2010
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Can you explain detailed to us how did you do Irda Remote Control works?
Which driver did you use?

Thanks,
Peterson

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom