Is 3D TV dead? (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is perhaps ironic that with the latest LAV filters, Madvr and MP 1.16 we can now play framepacked 3D from MP without having to use an external player, but it seems that all the major TV manufactures have dropped the 3D capability for their 2017 ranges. I seems doubly odd given that by all accounts playing frame packed 3D on a 4K TV gives a much improved PQ (no loss of brightness) compared to a Full HD TV. Personally I really like 3D, for me it gives an added dimension to those movies which have really included some dramatic effects and even on those movies where the effects are less/lesser I prefer the increased depth to 2D.
    As far as I am aware glasses free 3D, bar a couple of demo prototypes, seems to have died, so what is the future?

Last edited:

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think its not totaly dead at least i wish it was not ;) With the OLED TV`s 3D (well at least last years where it is still implemented) is absolutely stunning..
    Thats my experience and i am glad i have bought the E6 last year as it still has 3D onboard...

I think there will still be 3D releases in the coming years unfortunately 4K/HDR discs will never include the 3D version on Bluray...which would be great:mad::D

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    All major brands has stopped producing 3D capable panels. So 3D definitely is dead as long as it comes to "average" TV. Beamer will most likely stay 3D enabled for a longer time period.
    But there is more than one expert who thinks this only is a marketing "trick" to launch the next 3D hype once "Avatar 2" is available on 3D- BluRay in 2019...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think there will still be 3D releases in the coming years unfortunately 4K/HDR discs will never include the 3D version on Bluray...which would be great:mad::D
    Yes sad that, by all accounts it seems that 3D was totally ignored in the 4K spec. I just hope they don't do the same for 8K where there may be some glasses free 3D possibilities.

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am quite sure it will be back but probably in a different format like glasses free :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom