Is mediaportal upscaling? Or is my video card doing this? Or do I need to set this up (1 Viewer)

clone_tk422

Portal Pro
April 14, 2007
Hey All,

Just wondering.

Since I'm running my PC out through dvi at 1080i resolution does this automatically mean my either my video card or mediaportal upscales lower resolution feeds to 1080i?

Or is this something I need to setup to do?

I'm running DVB-T tuners so I'm assuming when I watch a channel being broadcast in 1080i that its being outputted to 1080i but what about when I watch normal DVB-S which in my country is only broadcast in SD resolutions.. does this automatically get upscaled by my video card or by mediaportal?

Just curious as with my provider a lot of people get angry because the set top box only outputs to S-Video and I was curious to know if I am getting advantage because I run sat throught the DVB-S card instead and output it to 1080i over DVI

The video card I am running is a gigabyte NVidia 7600GT 256MB running through DVI at 1080i. Running official nvidia drivers and resolution set by the nvidia driver itself not using powerstrip or anything

Thanks!

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm running my PC out through dvi at 1080i resolution does this automatically mean my either my video card or mediaportal upscales lower resolution feeds to 1080i?
    Your video card will do the upscaling.

I'm running DVB-T tuners so I'm assuming when I watch a channel being broadcast in 1080i that its being outputted to 1080i but what about when I watch normal DVB-S which in my country is only broadcast in SD resolutions.. does this automatically get upscaled by my video card or by mediaportal?!
    It is automatically upscaled by your video card. Some people use ffdshow to do this "upscaling" before the stream reaches the video card, but then you loose any hardware acceleration that is available in the video card.

I was curious to know if I am getting advantage because I run sat throught the DVB-S card instead and output it to 1080i over DVI
    You should be getting an advantage as long as the source video is really 1080i, and not just SD material that has been upscaled to 1080i by your provider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom