MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: directv
HTPC Case: cooler master
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: hauppauge 45 button
TV: phillips
TV - HTPC Connection: component

Is Media Portal ready to handle HD Media (HD-DVD, BLURAY, DIVX, XVID, AVI, MKV ETC in HD.
A lot of people, including myself, are having a difficult time getting hd media to play correctly on mp (if it plays at all).
Can someone who has gotten mp to play all HD media perfectly (including using hardware accel) please create a sticky thread on how to do it correctly.

I'm getting old. I no longer have the patients to fiddle around for hours trying to get things to work..
Thanks

petzlux

Portal Pro
March 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You will need new hardware, a Amd Athlon xp 2400 just doesnt cut it for HD period ! This isnt MP fault, just a fact of life.

Get a modern Dual Core CPU, and you should be good to go. I have a Athlon 3500+ and can play 720p content, but my PC is struggling with some 1080 content.

five40

Portal Member
July 30, 2007
I agree with petzlux, your processor just isn't strong enough.
HD played fine with my Athlon X2 3800 but the computer would just crash randomly so I upgraded to a Intel 4400.

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
You will need new hardware, a Amd Athlon xp 2400 just doesnt cut it for HD period ! This isnt MP fault, just a fact of life.

Get a modern Dual Core CPU, and you should be good to go. I have a Athlon 3500+ and can play 720p content, but my PC is struggling with some 1080 content.

Those a old specs you are reading there..

I can play 1080P media with Power DVD and 7600gt (hd dvd rip of The Matrix (20mb/s bitrate)
Trying to play that same file in MP will just give a blank screen.
I personally think the developers should dump the current player and build a new one (be free of windows media player)

newer specs:
A64 @ 2.35ghz
2GB ram
7600GT
Gigabyte HD 2400pro (having problems getting hardware acceleration to work)

dekkers

Portal Pro
December 2, 2006
Maasdijk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, it CAN play HD content. But the fact is, HD needs too much CPU-power at the moment.
I can play 720P WMV/X264 but only with Media Player Classic. When playing with MP there isn't just enough CPU power left for playing HD content AND running mediaportal at the same time.

I think we'll just have to wait until computers are fast enough for playing HD and having plenty power left for running an HTPC application.

See it this way:
Media player classic's goal is to make a player as light-weight as possible
Mediaportal's goal is making a HTPC application wich can handle almost every function you can imagine. Besides that everyone likes a "heavy graphical" userinterface like MP has. You have to pay for that in the way of CPU power.

kevon27

Portal Pro
January 26, 2006
Well, it CAN play HD content. But the fact is, HD needs too much CPU-power at the moment.
I can play 720P WMV/X264 but only with Media Player Classic. When playing with MP there isn't just enough CPU power left for playing HD content AND running mediaportal at the same time.

I think we'll just have to wait until computers are fast enough for playing HD and having plenty power left for running an HTPC application.

See it this way:
Media player classic's goal is to make a player as light-weight as possible
Mediaportal's goal is making a HTPC application wich can handle almost every function you can imagine. Besides that everyone likes a "heavy graphical" userinterface like MP has. You have to pay for that in the way of CPU power.

I get your point.. Mp does chew up a lot of cpu power. But can't dual cores handle this?

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
powerdvd codec with dxva on chokes on practically everything except pure h264

theres a bug in the codec, in haali splitter, in the drivers.. do i need to go on? :)

i play everything fine except actual bluray+hddvd with coreavc + ffdshow

this ranges from 1080mbaff h264 .ts to 1080p and 720p mkv x264

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom