Is my Hauppauge Dual T-500 card a hybrid? (1 Viewer)

dans1982

Portal Member
September 8, 2008
Home Country
England England
I'm a tad confused - is a Hauppauge Dual T-500 TV card a hybrid or not? It obviously has two cards built it which I assumed could be used at the same time (ie not a hybrid)?? Can someone confirm please?

Cheers,
Dan

vinch100

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hello Dans1982,

if you mean "Hauppauge NOVA-T 500", yes it's dual tuner, no it's not hybrid :

Hybrid means two different technologies (like f. instance DVB-T and Analog), but the NOVA-T 500 has 2 built-in DVB-T tuners, so you car record and view 2 different channels at the same time.

I hope it helps :)

dans1982

Portal Member
    September 8, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Thats great thanks!

Probably explains the reasons I get error messages in MyTV after I grouped the cards as a "hybrid".

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Dan

You need to first tune both cards, don't map one lot of channels from one card to the other, you will be there for what seems forever, then just delete scrambled\unused channels from the tv\radio channels tab.

dans1982

Portal Member
    September 8, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Not quite sure what you mean by mapping mate? can you explain a bit more (I promise I'm not stupid all the time :p)

aucklander

Portal Member
    July 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    dans1982

I think I have good news for you: not only you can access two channels at a time (record both or watch one and record the other), but actually you can access two separate muxes at a time. So in theory, if you have 3 channels on one mux and another 5 channels on a second mux, you can record all 8 channels at the same time. I did this, and it works (not with so many channels but the same principle applies). It all comes down to the speed of the hdd/cpu you have. The channel you watch at the time might stutter. If that channel is also recorded, the recording will be just fine, with no stuttering.

or record two channels and watch a third, as long as the third channel is on the same mux with one of the first two channels... don't worry, MP will tell you if you try to record off more muxes than you can access. Just keep adding simultaneous recordings in tv guide and you will be amazed by the number of actual recordings the system accepts. If you get an error on one channel when setting a recording, go to the next one, just to see how many can you actually access at the same time... the error sounds like "no card available" or something like that...

what do you say about this? is it good news or not?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not quite sure what you mean by mapping mate? can you explain a bit more

If you tune both tuners, forget the word mapping. :), they do it themselves.

If you tune one tuner, you then need to copy (map) all the channels from the first tuner to the second one by hand :(, doing this 77 or so times is not fun, tried it once never again ;)

dans1982

Portal Member
    September 8, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Not quite sure what you mean by mapping mate? can you explain a bit more

If you tune both tuners, forget the word mapping. :), they do it themselves.

If you tune one tuner, you then need to copy (map) all the channels from the first tuner to the second one by hand :(, doing this 77 or so times is not fun, tried it once never again ;)

aha! Thanks once again for your superior knowledge. So just scan both cards for channels and job done! :D

aucklander - That is good news!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom