Is there a need for a skin editor? (1 Viewer)

NoBugS

Portal Pro
August 22, 2009
Hoover, AL
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was wondering if there is interest in a skin editor.
I'm no expert in .NET so i wont continue the existing one. However I started in my own 2 days ago.
Of course inspired by the existing one..... Mh too bad I don't know how to attach a screenshot.

I already have quite a lot of functionality in it so if there is the need for it I will push it and post it here.. but how?

Well lets see about the feedback.
If there is interest I would like to know which features are most important to work on these first....

:D

OK, as promised here now the latest alpha-version (will always update that posting):

Requirement: Java V1.6.xx (see post Requirements - Java 6)

Download latest Version:

see bottom of the post...

Bugs and feature that you really want to get done have to be posted here BUGS or here NEW FEATURES. Feel free to also post here to get some discussion going but I need it on sourceforge to track them or they get lost.

Changelog:

Beta 2 (in work):

Beta 1:
  • global copy/paste (for text, controls, etc)
  • change default install directory
  • fix bug with subitems
  • moved icon in startmenu below Team MediaPortal
  • I'm sure I fixed much more... just tooooo long ago :oops:

Alpha 6:
  • create installer to install needed dlls
  • fixed various bugs
  • added support for Slider, VideoWindow, ImageList, TextControl, Volumebar, and some more - tnx to all who supprted!!!
  • added shortcuts for save/undo/redo/copy/cut/paste
  • save, load and restore windows layout
  • add context menu to screen-tabs (close, close others, close all)
  • make tool-bar resizable
  • add 'reload skin in MP' to refresh skin in MP (needs Refresh Plugin configured to Key'E')
  • Import: add 'open xml' to imports to quickly open referenced files
  • add new Layer-Window to switch visibility of unwanted layers
  • add new window to modify properties (used to replace #xxx in skins) -> properties.xml now automatically created!
  • fix encoding of saved files (now really utf-8)
  • some more stuff I forgot - happy trying

Alpha 5:
  • fixed various bugs
  • added context-menu to Hierarchy and Explorer and exended context-menu of GUIControl (in main window)
  • added live-preview to simulate real use (still rudimentary and mainly only to test 'On xxx')
  • improved undo/redo for all actions including cut/paste
  • to be honest, too long ago that I did all the changes :confused: so please feel free to explore AND
  • bugs and feature that you really want to get done have to be posted here BUGS or here NEW FEATURES. Feel free to also post here to get some discussion going but I need it on sourceforge to track them or they get lost.

Alpha 4:
  • added the save-button :)
  • support for undo/redo based upon active window (separate stack for each window)
  • unknown controls are painted as green rectangles
  • unknown xml-tags are stored within the control and saved back to the file
  • editor-window has now 2 tabs (on bottom) -> 1st is design-view, 2nd is xml-view (read-only)
  • while in xml-view don't change any settings!!! might not work properly
  • support for unlimited 'animation' tags per control and button to add new animation-tag (remove still missing)
  • complete redesign of internal structures to store xml-tags to support undo/redo
  • screens update automatically if fonts are resized (via Explorer -> Skin -> Fonts -> Dbl-Click Font)
  • many more features I forgot about
  • various bug-fixes and improvements (too many to tell...)
  • maybe some new bugs? :oops:

Alpha 3:
  • add support for Group... so now must buttons should show up
  • add Hierarchy-Panel (drag/drop controls in tree to bring to front/back)
  • controls within a group can be selected in Hierarchy-Panel and then edited
  • controls can be added/removed to/from group via DnD in Hierarchy-Panel
  • add minimize-button to side-panels and start with minimized Explorer-View (show it by clicking on the tab, will hide when

you click somewhere else. or permanently show it by select restore button)
  • added SplashScreen :)thx: to MoPhat)
  • redesign of editor-window
  • added buttons for text-alignment to speed-up editing
  • add support for some more controls (some only partially)
  • save is still MISSING... promised for the next release :mad:
  • some more changes that I forgot

Alpha 2:
  • support for resize with mouse
  • support for 'send to back/front'
  • support for button, checkmark, fadelabel, label, horizontal/vertical scrollbar, image, progressbar
  • support for animations (all possible settings)
  • cleanup of properties
  • added preview in open-dialog
  • many more internal improvements....
  • support for custom properties (properties.xml next to other xml's) to replace #xxx with a defined text (simulates the

plugin)
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <properties>
    	<property name="#highlightedbutton">TV</property>
    	<property name="#selecteditem">ER - Season 1</property>
    	<property name="#itemcount">21</property>
    </properties>

Alpha 1:
  • Initial Version

:D for trying it out....

Attachments

• MPSkinEditor_V100_Beta1_setup.zip
    30.7 KB

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Interesting :)

You can attach a screenshot by clicking the "Go Advanced" button below the text-editor and in the new window you have a "+" button to the right of the "smiley" button.
    Here you can manage attachments. When you have uploaded the screenshot it is automatically inserted as an image.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    My impulse, first, is to take an already working skin as a starting point. It has been recommended to start with Blue3/Blue3Wide as it is already MP compliant. You might try also one of the many skins that have as many of the plugin screens already done for you.

!!! WYSIWYG !!! Each element in it's own layer for visual priority. If an element is part of an include, then it remembers its own xml.

-Then begin repositioning elements for a new composition. (drag into place)
    -Select an appropriate font.
    -Adapt sizes where needed to fill the composition. (drag to stretch - shift with aspect control)
    -Then apply new graphics to the elements (this can be done at nearly any/every stage). (drag/drop, select/replace)
    -From there you rinse and repeat as needed.

Once you have altered a fully operational/compliant skin from an already available skin into your interpretation you can look at elements you would like to add. Drag and drop elements that you want from other skins, reposition/adapt and then tweek, tweek, tweek.

Chuck

edit:
    A group select (drag box) would be usefull to select a group of elements and be able to move them as one unit. Being able to select a group of elements on one skin and move them to the skin you are working on with relative positions intact, but when applied to the new skin, media files of the same name will be used, 'not present' media files will be copied to the working media folder from the source skin media folder or prompted to replace the media file with one that is.
    (I know, I'm dreaming)

NoBugS

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2009
    Hoover, AL
    Home Country
    Ok, now a first screenshot....
    Lets see if it works. As I mentioned it's inspired by the Skin Editor on CVS.

Feedback is appreciated...

Attachments

• Screenshot.JPG
      Screenshot.JPG
      152.4 KB

NoBugS

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2009
    Hoover, AL
    Home Country
    Well so far I maybe invested 3 evenings while watching TV... so I think its not toooooooo bad.
    I'm working on it right now and it makes good progress.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I must say that it looks promising, really looking forward to a test-version if that would be any help :)

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Promising? This looks great! I like the clean layout!

What would be really cool is a feature that checks if your skin is up to date and shows errors the author may have made. Also, an indication of which media files aren't used is welcome.

But those are just thoughts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom