Is there a trick with Multi Client TV Server ? (1 Viewer)

snr_duck

Portal Member
April 14, 2006
Home Country
TV-Server Version: SVN Build of 10/10/2007
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC2 +SVN from 10/10/2007
MediaPortal Skin: Project Mayhem 3
Windows Version: XP
CPU Type: AMD Sempron 2400+
HDD: Too many to list
Memory: 1GB OCZ Gold EL
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA7-VT600-1394
Motherboard Chipset: VIA
Motherboard Bios: Phoenix F7
Video Card: Sapphire 9600XT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Compro DVB-T300
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Free 2 Air
HTPC Case: Antec P180
Cooling: 3x 120mm fans
Power Supply: Thermal Take 420W
Remote: Compro Silver Remote
TV: Sony 51cm
TV - HTPC Connection: Composite

Hi All,

Just trying out the TVE3 thing again and my current Single Seat setup seems to work OK.

I am now looking to expand that and add another client (Laptop this time) to access the server.

The Laptop is connected via 54MB/s wireless to a Wireless router -> 10/100 Switch -> the TV Server.

Connectivity is fine and I can connect to shares etc on the machine running the TV Server.

When I setup the TV Client Plugin in the MediaPortal configuration I can enter the IP address of the TV Server and then save and start Media Portal.

In Media-Portal in the My Plugins -> My TV it has the right details. At one stage it complained about not being able to connect to the database. The laptop is a member of a completely different untrusted domain... would this cause issues in getting connected to the database ?

Any ideas people ?

Duck

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Yeah, I understand there are some issues when connecting to a server on a different sub net so if your domains are on different subnets then this may be your issue.

snr_duck

Portal Member
    April 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for that.

The 2 machines are on the same IP subnet but different Windows Domains. There is no firewall between the 2 and I can authenticate from the laptop to the TV Server without issue.

Do I need to configure some sort of authentication on the client so that it can login to the SQL database ?

Duck

snr_duck

Portal Member
    April 14, 2006
    Home Country
    FIXED !!!

Eureka !!

OK... so I am using Windows auth for the SQL Server.

I created a user account on the XP machine running the TV Server. Added the account to the "SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$MACHINENAME$SQLEXPRESS group.

On the PC that is NOT in my home domain I mapped a drive to the TVServer/SQL Server machine using the newly created username and password from the TVServer machine and then started MediaPortal.

Refreshed the TV Client Plugin to point at the TV Server again and et voila... I am connected :)

I HATE that it took me so long to work that out :( Too many brain cells killed lately I guess...

Maybe the developers can add an authentication portion to the plugin that creates an IPC$ connection to the TV Server for just such a situation ?

Thanks for watching this space.

Over and out !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom