Jerky video with AF enabled in CCC (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.2A
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7 Ult 64
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 2TB Samsung F4
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD6950 2GB
Video Card Driver: 11.4
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6299
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD10
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Scythe 120mm Bottom Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: OCZ StealthStream 400W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Probably not a MP bug, which is why I'm posting here, but after much hair-pulling I found that the cause of all video playback/Live TV being unwatchably jerky (IE like 12FPS), was that AF was set to 16X in CCC. After changing it to Use Application Settings, everything seems to be all right again at last!

Along with the "Morphological Filtering messes up StreamedMP's fonts" bug I found yesterday, perhaps we need a Wiki advising users what settings are compatible with MP (or even putting the information in the installation instructions)?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just go ahead and add it to the wiki in an appropriate place - that is what the wiki is for.

But: With some people having a strong gfx card, setting AF to 16x (well, maybe 8x or 4x) could benefit their video quality on scaled video. In MP II it is planned to have AF as a setting. Additionally: The usual setting for all gfx cards is: let the application decide per default. So most people would not come across this issue.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just in case there's any doubt (probably not as I don't think AA goes up to 16x), it's AF that caused the problem for me.

AA was already set to "Use Application Settings", so I haven't tested to see whether it causes any problems.

mbuzina's right that this is the default setting for both, but I'd changed the AF as I use this PC for gaming as well and I'd read that my shiny new GPU could do 16x AF without much impact on performance. I'll leave the CCC settings alone in future and use Radeon Pro to change them per game (or I could setup a profile for MP to turn AF off).

I've never edited a Wiki before but I'll take a look and see if I can add something about this to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom