Judder-free playback of *.ts files ripped from Blu-Ray disc (1 Viewer)

chimbochoc

Portal Member
July 11, 2008
Hi all,

I have problems with playing back 24p HD content in a *.ts container.

But first, here is my approach:
--------------------------------------

In order to rip my BluRay disc to the hard drive I extract the video and audio streams from the original BluRay disc into a *.ts container using tsMuxer. This has the following advantages:
* .ts files can be played back in MP directly (no need for external player such as PowerDVD)
* reduced filesize compared to .iso image of complete BluRay (usually 12 -16 GB for the ripped .ts file)
* faster and no loss of image quality compared to .mkv re-encode

However, in order to make the .ts files playable from MP with HW acceleration enabled I have to:
* rename "*.ts" to "*.ts.wmv" for VC-1 encoded video streams
==> due to the .wmv extension the "MPC Video Decoder" (the standalone DirectShow filter from MPC-Homecinema) will be used
* rename "*.ts" to "*.ts.mp4" for h264 encoded video streams
==> due to the .mp4 extension the "Cyberlink H264/AVC Decoder" (the DirectShow filter shipped with PowerDVD) will be used
For both approaches (*.ts.wmv and *.ts.mp4) Hardware acceleration works flawlessly (~4-10% CPU load on a 1GHz pentium4 processor with a ATI HD 2400 graphics card).

Okay, but here is the problem:
---------------------------------------

Whenever I play one of the ripped .ts.wmv or .ts.mp4 files in MP it looks like the playback rate seems to be always 50Hz instead of 24Hz (minimal, but constant stutter every second). In other DirectShow based players (e.g. MPC-Homecinema) it plays smooth using the same decoder filters.

It would be the perfect solution (at least for me) for playing back BluRay / HD-DVD content directly in Mediaportal with minimum ripping effort and hardware accelleration working.

Please let me know if there is a solution for this problem. Any other ideas / approaches for easy ripping and viewing of HD content are welcome!

Regards,
chimbo

nondrun

Portal Member
September 22, 2007
Home Country
Austria Austria
Hi!

im having exactly the same problem. everytime i try to play 24p content in mediaportal (refresh rate in graphic card driver set to 24hz) refresh rate is being rest to 50hz...

have you already found a solution?

nondrun

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for detaling how to get VC1 .ts files playing in MP. I had already ripped an h.264 BD and remuxed to .ts, and this worked fine without renaming to .ts.mp4. This is likely since I have the Cyberlink h.264 driver set in the MP config.

But the first VC1 BD I ripped did not play. Now renaming to .ts.wmv works!

However, it does not appear to be using hardware acceleration. My tripple core Phenom CPU is at 45%, where it is around 5% for an h.264 video. It also loads the Haali Media Splitter, whereas the h.264 one doesn't.

I installed and registered the MPC Video Decoder, but this made no difference. This is all fairly new to me, so any suggestions very welcome.

But this doesn't prevent some judder or stutter because of differences between the video fps and graphics card refresh rate. You will likely see a small pause every second or so in a panning scene.

I've been investigating a solution and ReClock appears to do the job. Note that I'm in a PAL location with a 50hz TV. I don't have any problem with playback of movies at 50 hz, but I have installed ReClock which plays the video at 25hz (rather than 23.97) and resamples the audio so it doesn't get out of sync. This prevents the stutter every second.

But if you have any idea why .ts.wmv is not using my hardware acceleration, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom