Jukebox limited to one or more folders (1 Viewer)

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
334
0
Germany
I organized my MP3 files in folders like

Genre 1 - interpret1 - album1 - song
- album2 - song
- interpret2 - album1 - song

Genre 2 - interpret1 - album - song
- interpret2 - album - song

I think a common way to handle the files.

As I like techno a lot and my wife and almost any of the people ever visiting us don´t like techno, the jukebox function is useless for me. I´ld like a way to limit the jukebox functionality to the folder where I´m in. So I could separate the techno files in a folder and all other genres in another. Then pressing the jukebox button, it should only play the actual folder and all subfolders within.

What do you think?
 

lar282

Portal Pro
July 11, 2004
414
2
Messiah said:
I haven't digged into it, but I think It would be nice if the jukebox used a playlist were you can list songs of your own choice.

\Rob

hmmm, why not use a playlist? Its not harder to open a playlist than pressing the jukebox button? Or did I miss something here

//Lasse
 

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
772
0
Melbourne, Australia
I suspect by jukebox you're referring to party shuffle. This has been discussed before, so here's the problem:

It is definitely possible to have party shuffle limited to a particular artist/genre/folder etc. with regards to code. However, how should this be done in the interface? There is no space on the playlist screen for an extra button to set the filter or at least an extra label where the filter can be displayed. Because the playlist screen can be called from any of the music screens, you can't say 'shuffle from the current folder' because this changes all the time.

If I'm completely off the mark, ignore this post 8)

Sam
 

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
334
0
Germany
Playlist and shuffle (that´s what I meant with jukebox) isn´t the same. If I first have to create a playlist I don´t need the shuffle mode. But this wouldn´t be handy if you wanted to simply play coincidentally songs of your collection.

This wouldn´t need a separate button, as it could be programmed to shuffle only from the current folder + all subfolders if you press the button. At the moment it shuffles from the complete music folder specified in the config, afaik.
 

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    822
    1
    48
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    party shuffle is what it says, it for parties.
    People can skip songs and there will automatically be shuffled a new song in the list.

    Why don't you simply make a new playlist withhout the techno songs, save this and set "shuffle playlist on load" on.
    Now simply click on this playlist to load it and playback will begin.
    Everytime it will play differently and you wife won't hear the techno.
    You can make different playlist
    Mama playlist
    Mama's girls playlist
    visitors playlist etc etc...

    Or you can make a favorites list and set songs to favorites
    Or you can set ratings on a song and play the best ones
     

    samuel337

    Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    772
    0
    Melbourne, Australia
    mama said:
    This wouldn´t need a separate button, as it could be programmed to shuffle only from the current folder + all subfolders if you press the button. At the moment it shuffles from the complete music folder specified in the config, afaik.

    There is no current folder. What if you get out of the playlist screen and into another folder? Then where does it shuffle from? If it shuffles from the folder that was active when the button was pressed, how do you indicate to the user which folder that is so they know even if they change the current folder?

    Sam
     

    tomtom21000

    Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    1,226
    120
    Germany
    samuel337 said:
    I suspect by jukebox you're referring to party shuffle. This has been discussed before, so here's the problem:

    It is definitely possible to have party shuffle limited to a particular artist/genre/folder etc. with regards to code. However, how should this be done in the interface? There is no space on the playlist screen for an extra button to set the filter or at least an extra label where the filter can be displayed. Because the playlist screen can be called from any of the music screens, you can't say 'shuffle from the current folder' because this changes all the time.

    If I'm completely off the mark, ignore this post 8)

    Sam

    How about a dialog?

    Like genre - all -techno -rock etc. with checkboxes?
    maybe same for the defined shares? (Probably not folders)
    year like >1990

    tomtom
     

    samuel337

    Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    772
    0
    Melbourne, Australia
    tomtom21000 said:
    samuel337 said:
    I suspect by jukebox you're referring to party shuffle. This has been discussed before, so here's the problem:

    It is definitely possible to have party shuffle limited to a particular artist/genre/folder etc. with regards to code. However, how should this be done in the interface? There is no space on the playlist screen for an extra button to set the filter or at least an extra label where the filter can be displayed. Because the playlist screen can be called from any of the music screens, you can't say 'shuffle from the current folder' because this changes all the time.

    If I'm completely off the mark, ignore this post 8)

    Sam

    How about a dialog?

    Like genre - all -techno -rock etc. with checkboxes?
    maybe same for the defined shares? (Probably not folders)
    year like >1990

    tomtom

    Yeh, but then you would need another button (e.g. change filter) - you could make that a toggle button to indicate whether its on or off. AFAIK, there's no room available on the playlist screen on mce.

    Sam
     

    Users who are viewing this thread

    Top Bottom