Jump to time - how should it work? (1 Viewer)

renzz

Portal Member
September 12, 2007
Newbie question here (possibly)?

In My Videos, when playing a movie, if I enter numbers on the MCE Remote to jump to a particular place in the file, it doesn't seem to work. What I get is the first two numbers, then a colon appears, then the third - and then nothing. So if I press, say 1234, I see

12:3

and then the bar disappears. I can't for the life of me figure out how to jump to a particular time.

I'm using 0.2.3 RC2.

Thanks

heikoh

Portal Pro
September 5, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem as described above with 0.2.2 and a standard keyboard as input device.
Dunno how to jump to certain times in a video playing.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Heiko

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Newbie question here (possibly)?

In My Videos, when playing a movie, if I enter numbers on the MCE Remote to jump to a particular place in the file, it doesn't seem to work. What I get is the first two numbers, then a colon appears, then the third - and then nothing. So if I press, say 1234, I see

12:3

and then the bar disappears. I can't for the life of me figure out how to jump to a particular time.

I'm using 0.2.3 RC2.

Thanks

If you type 12:30 this would mean that your file is 12hours and 30 minutes long.
    I guess you would like to jump to the point 00hours 12 minutes that's why you need to type 00:12.
    I'm not sure if you can enter even the seconds.
    Just try it and enter 00:12:30.

Regards
    Ralph

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Hi Ralph,

If you type 12:30 this would mean that your file is 12hours and 30 minutes long.
    I guess you would like to jump to the point 00hours 12 minutes that's why you need to type 00:12.
    I'm not sure if you can enter even the seconds.
    Just try it and enter 00:12:30.

Regards
    Ralph

Ok, that might be the reason.
    I'll try that soon.

@Developers:
    Maybe there should be the possibility to enter min:sec and not only hh:min.
    Best would be some "smart" function that would recognize the entered digits count.

For example, if 1241 is entered, then it wold jump to 12 min & 41 sec.
    If 011241 is entered, however, it would jump to 1 h 12 min & 41 sec.

Most of my usage scenarios (TV series) have a length < 1 hour, so the possibility to jump to min:sec might be handy.

Best regards,

Heiko

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    Ok, that might be the reason.
    I'll try that soon.

@Developers:
    Maybe there should be the possibility to enter min:sec and not only hh:min.
    Best would be some "smart" function that would recognize the entered digits count.

For example, if 1241 is entered, then it wold jump to 12 min & 41 sec.
    If 011241 is entered, however, it would jump to 1 h 12 min & 41 sec.

Most of my usage scenarios (TV series) have a length < 1 hour, so the possibility to jump to min:sec might be handy.

Best regards,

Heiko

Thanks guys, it works exactly as Ralph says.

I agree with Heiko, as I thought that's how it was supposed to work. It would certainly be better if it was more smart in the way that it interpreted the numbers.

Renzz

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Thanks guys, it works exactly as Ralph says.

I agree with Heiko, as I thought that's how it was supposed to work. It would certainly be better if it was more smart in the way that it interpreted the numbers.

Renzz

Although, I have a standalone PVR (Opentel, 4+ years old :) that works the same way:
    You just punch it the numbers.

If you enter 40, it jumps to 40sec
    If you enter 140, it jumps to 1 min 40 sec.
    If you enter 3140, it jumps to 31 min 40 sec
    If you enter 13140, it jumps to 1h 31 min 40 sec.

This might be a really good feature for a future release.

Where do I have to post this suggestion so that it is seen by the developers?

Heiko

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    Although, I have a standalone PVR (Opentel, 4+ years old :) that works the same way:
    You just punch it the numbers.

If you enter 40, it jumps to 40sec
    If you enter 140, it jumps to 1 min 40 sec.
    If you enter 3140, it jumps to 31 min 40 sec
    If you enter 13140, it jumps to 1h 31 min 40 sec.

This might be a really good feature for a future release.

Where do I have to post this suggestion so that it is seen by the developers?

Heiko

One navigation feature I'd like to see that works well in some other media players, is to be able to press a number followed by skip to instantly jump x minutes forward or back, ie press 4 <skip forward> jumps 4 mins forwards, or 7 <skip backwards> jumps 7 minutes back.

The current skip feature is ok, but it's a pain if you know you want to jump 4 minutes (the length of most UK commercial breaks), as you then have to press through the other skip amounts until you get to the 4 minute one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom