Just an idea, don't shoot me yet - new forums server (1 Viewer)

Should MP start a donation run for a new server

• Total voters

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    With more and more features being requested by both the dev team and users, we're in need of a server upgrade.

I'm thinking that we could do a short donation run for a couple reasons.

1. Buy our own domain!

1. Move the website from sourceforge to our own dedicated server(Maybe?)

2. Move the forums to the same server. the server they are on now is an athlon 1600 with 384mb of ram. With the forums database size reaching 60mb and with it handling so many users, as you may have noticed it's starting to feel a little long in the tooth.

4. Open up a file storage area for users to upload/download plugins, skins, current cvs builds and the like.

I would like to upgrade it to a ~3ghz p4 with at least 1 gig of ram. combined with a scsi raid 0 or 5, we should be able to keep rocking for a long time.

My company is in the process of moving away from our four T1's the forums are hosted on now to a fiber connection from cox communications. along with being cheaper, it'll allow us to ramp up the speed as we need it for a much cheaper rate.

T

Thomas Belser

this would be a very good idea. so the downloads would be faster. (my last mp download: 7 kb/s with dsl :roll: )

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    Thomas Belser said:
    this would be a very good idea. so the downloads would be faster. (my last mp download: 7 kb/s with dsl :roll: )

Actually, MP would probally still be hosted on the sourceforge servers, they have a huge list of mirrors that would be better for us since our users are located around the world, just like their mirrors.

What would be hosted on the new server would be items such as plugins, skins, compiled CVS builds and whatever else frodo and mario could think of.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Just read you expect the new server for mp next week.

Just interested: How is the financing?
    Never seen this donation idea as an actual call on the forums.

tomtom

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    Funds were collected from existing funds the project had and two of the members donated the rest of the funds needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom