Just been given given a new 2TB WD HDD - use it for storage or recording? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have just been sent a new 2TB Hard Drive (WesternDigital WD20EARS-00MVWB0) which is the newest version with three platters rather than four.

I only received this sort of indirectly on purpose - I originally had a 1.5AV GP drive that died about a year ago. I bought a replacement without it occurring me to me that the original was still under warranty.

The seller was great about confirming that the old drive was no longer in production and kindly offered me this much better alternative.

Anyway my query -

I currently have x2 Samsung F4 2TB hard drives (though the second one is the rebranded Seagate Jobby).

The Samsung one is used for all my music and films etc. and the Seagate version is being used for all my recordings.

I was wondering what I should do with my new drive.

I note that it has a slight advantage of 64MB of Cache and a slightly variable spindle rate (i.e. not fixed at 5,400rpm but can go to 5,900rpm).

This being the case, as most of my activity takes place on the recording drive (i.e. multiple recordings/playback streams including HD), would it make sense to start using the WD HDD for my recordings from now on?

Any advice would be much appreciated (perhaps in real terms, it will make no difference).

Thanks very much.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It wont make any significant difference. For power saving it's best to have tv recording on the same physical drive as the OS or MePo, so the PC can keep all the other HDDs powered down when it makes scheduled recordings.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Sorry forgot to add - Windows and Mediaportal are on a separate SSD.

So you don't reckon there is any point trying to be to0 scientific about it and just whack in the new HDD as a new place for storage?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ideally I'd install MP to the SSD or F4 as the WD Green is slightly slower. As far as moving your recordings from the F4 to the WD20EARS, it wont make any difference.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which drive you use.

Media just fills up the other 2, so they can sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom