Ongoing Just getting started... (1 Viewer)

Mooki

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
So, i finally got my thumb out of my a**e and started ordering the following:

Chassi: Antec NSK2480 w. PSU (will see about changing the fan for the one supplied with the Minja).
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R and Gigabyte S/PDIF I/O-bracket.
CPU: Intel C2D E8200.
RAM: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4DHX (2GB).
Cooler: Scythe Ninja Mini with a Thermalright backplate (personally I rather dislike push-pins).
GPU: PowerColor HD3650 SCS3 (Passive) - a little hesistant about generated heat, but time will tell...
HDD: WDC XL 500GB and/or Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, haven't quite decided on exact configuration yet.
Fans: 2x120mm Nexus to replace the included Tri-Cools, might also add a fanmate2.
Keyboard: Keysonic 540RF (haven't seen anybody using it in a HTPC, but to me it seems it should be pretty nifty).
DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-2014L1T.

Still unsure about which analog TV-card to buy, I'm leaning towards the Leadtek PVR2100 - but I can't seem to find it for sale :(
Also in a quandary about which 42" plasma to get, I'm waiting for the Panasonic PX80 but I'd rather have a higher resolution - so maybe I'll have to check the PV85 when it's released.
Any ideas on the above?

Oh well, first things first. Still waiting for some of the vital parts (like CPU and mobo) to be delivered, till then I'll just tinker with what I have - like performing the PSU fan-swap and such.

I'll check back with updates along the way, or if anyone comes with some interesting input :)

/M

ghanz

Portal Pro
September 18, 2007
Ouderkerk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Nice. As a heads up: I see your mobo has the alc889a audio chip. Even though my p35-ds4 has the same chip I don't see dts connect functions on it on yours. It might be worth to find out if your mobo does have this, because it is a very nice feature. And you do know BlueRay won the war right. I'm now thinkin about bying one :)

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country
Nice selection:)

Please let me know how the nsk 2480 goes as I am considering it as a Fusion 430 alternative (cheaper without the VFD and volume control)

For the keyoard, check out the logitech Dinovo mini. It's a 70 key board with a mouse thingo, the size of a Blackberry. You type with your thumbs.

Ghanz, does it matter what type of integrated audio solution you have if you just use SPDIF out (to a receiver with DTS and DD decode)?

Mooki

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Nice. As a heads up: I see your mobo has the alc889a audio chip. Even though my p35-ds4 has the same chip I don't see dts connect functions on it on yours. It might be worth to find out if your mobo does have this, because it is a very nice feature. And you do know BlueRay won the war right. I'm now thinkin about bying one :)

Ouch! - Didn't think about that, but I'm hoping it won't matter since audio will be rerouted undecoded. Pleae tell me I'm correct (I've had such anguish before finally deciding on this mobo)... I made a list of candidates and eliminated them one by one until only 3 remained, then I went forum-hunting for reviews and opinions - if I remember correctly the remaining two were ASUS and Abit. Might have to re-check those two a little closer.
Yes, I've heard about the HD battle and it's victor - unfortunately I don't quite have the spare change to buy one at the moment. Will have to postpone getting a BluRay drive till later this year - of course this means I will have to buy loads of BluRay material, so it will be pricey :D

Nice selection:)

Please let me know how the nsk 2480 goes as I am considering it as a Fusion 430 alternative (cheaper without the VFD and volume control)

For the keyoard, check out the logitech Dinovo mini. It's a 70 key board with a mouse thingo, the size of a Blackberry. You type with your thumbs.

Ghanz, does it matter what type of integrated audio solution you have if you just use SPDIF out (to a receiver with DTS and DD decode)?

Actually I chose the NSK2480 because it lacked VFD, as far as I understand a lot of the problems people are having with their HTPCs are related to displays - so I'm hoping it will make my life a bit easier :)
The volume knob also seems to be a bit of a pain as it controls certain audio but not others (I believe it works with media player but not some other players if I remember correctly), as this would still leave me having to control the amplifier volume some of the time I decided it was easier if the volume control was always handled by the amplifier.
I actually checked out both DiNove Edge and the Mini and was leaning towards the Mini, but being a cheapo I decided to try with something simple and maybe later I'll change to the Mini when others have reported their experiences (I like to wait a few months as first impressions can be a bit deceiving).

Thanks to both of you for your input!

And finally a few TV-related questions:
I'm sort of confused about chosing a Plasma-TV :confused:
I'll be using an analog TV-signal, the HTPC will mostly be used as a substitute for DVD-player and VCR (along with the possibility to stream films over the network [.avi, .mkv,.mpg, etc...]).
The HTPC will have a DVI-HDMI cable connected to the TV, and Toslink for audio to a receiver.
As I understand it, with the above 720p is probably the best choise as these generally give a better picture quality with analog signals so the Panasonic 42PX80 seems a wise choice.
Does this seem correct, or am I missing something major?
I can't find whether or not the Panny supports pixel mapping (via HDMI), is this a necessity for filling the screen?

Cheers!
/M

ghanz

Portal Pro
September 18, 2007
Ouderkerk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
it does

About the DTS connect function. It should not matter but it does however. When playing files that have a AC3 or DTS stream, it is possible to route that directly thru your reciever. However for all other audio streams it makes a huge difference. If you plan to route music with asio (no interference from windows mixer directly to your reciever you should not need dtsconnect. But since most recievers have a surround speakerset attached to it you will end up with stereo through only 2 little speakers, which sounds like talking into a can. I found the dts connect function extremely stable. It does a hell of a job up mixing the audio. (I'm picky). I use my HTPC for listening music, watching TV (digital) and watching full hd movies. I replaced most of my mp3 collection with ape or flac and it sounds really good with dts connect without fuss (mp3 also). TV signal, even though not always 5.1, sounds really good as well. If the signal is 5.1 it will passthru, if not it will make 5.1 very well. Most movies I watch already have 5.1 stream so limited use there.

conclusion if you plan on 2 big stereo speakers as part of your 5.1 speaker set I would go along with not needing DTS connect (it stil is nice) If not I would go for it. Consider p35-ds series for Mobo (intell)

Be aware though that in 3 or 4 months HDMI 1.3 audiocards will be available for 7.1 lossless audio formats. (DTSHD DDHD) This will degrade the value of dts connect. However price will be an issue. I can hardly wait :)

On the Plasma: I really do think you should consider FullHD (1920) Most videocards with directx10 do a excelent job of upscaling. I own a older gen Samsung 40 inch and I am really satisfied with watching tv. Mine is LCD though but Plasma is better for watching tv. A screen like that would be bought for at leqast 5 years. I do think you would regret watching blueray on 720p. this and 42 inch with only 1356 lines will show I think depending on your viewing distance.

I watch movies only in full hd and I just smile every time I turn it on (x264 1080p mkv files mostly).
The pixelmapping is not a big deal. You can correct this in the videocard settings by canceling the overscan (although nobody knows if compressing 5% by the videocard and overscanning 5% by the tv will give you the exact same pixels as with 1 :1 pixelmapping)

Hope this helps ;)

Mooki

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK! I think I get it.
I presently have 2 large front speakers, but I was hoping to replace the whole setup with something slightly more WAF-compliant - So I'd definitely want DTS connect. I'll try to contact Gigabyte support an see if they can provide an answer, but most likely I will have to go mobo-hunting again (or start working on getting my wife to accept that "big is beautiful" when it comes to speakers :D )

Regarding plasma: My viewing distance is approximately 3m, but based on your thoughts and experience I think I'll wait a couple of months and check out the PZ80/PZ800/PZ85 which have higher contrast and are 1080p.

The advice was most helpful :D

/M

***Edit***
I've received the reply from GigaByte that the GA-G33M-DS2R does not include DTS connect :(
On the other hand my wife has given an initial Go! for keeping the large front speakers :)

ghanz

Portal Pro
September 18, 2007
Ouderkerk
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Cool that means asio will be your way to play music. Asio4all driver will work with your alc889a chip just fine. MP will provide a musicplayer to use asio.
3 meters is indeed a distance where you have to be carefull with over 40inch. It will still depend on your precendence but I think it's worth buying full hd.
good luck if you have any questions I'm still running the thread HighEnd HTPC MP based in ongoing projects

ghanz

Mooki

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Reckoned it was about time for a minor update...
I'll start with admitting that I had to re-think just about everything, the E8200 refused to be delivered so I went the AMD-route, with the same results (as in no delivery) :(

Current setup - and all ordered parts have actually arrived :D
Chassi: Antac NSK2480
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-GA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD X2 4400+ EE
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX
Cooler: Scythe Mini Ninja
GPU: Onboard until I decide if I need a HD3450/3470
HDD: WDC GP 500GB, and a 40GB Seagate Barracuda IV for the OS
Fans: 2x120mm Nexus
Keyboard: KeySonic 540RF
DVD-RW: ASUS DRW2014L1T
TV Card: AverMedia M150 (got analogue from a wall outlet)

Was originally going for the AMD X2 4850e, but delivery date was postponed several times so I got tired of waiting...
I've assembled everything and installed OS (XP SP2), spent all evening yesterday just updating the OS and installing AVG AntiVirus and Comodo Firewall Pro. Will hopefully get some time this evening to start tinkering with MP.
I also replaced the PSU fan with the fan accompanying the Minja, my regular computer is louder at 2m than this setup with open lid is at 0,5m - and I still consider my regular computer to be rather quiet (P182B with passive Ninja and 3x120mm Nexus fans).
Sometimes I feel exceptionally fortunate - I have yet to run in to any trouble when assembling computer parts, I just hope the good-luck-run continues...

Speakers have been replaced with AudioPro PM-09 (front and center), will also get a pair of PM-02 for the rears.
Subwoofer XTS 99W12.
Settled for a 37" PX80 plasma for TV - this way I can probably get the wife to agree to a projector next year ;)

I'll try to keep the updates coming, albeit the progress might be slow :)

/M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom