te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi there.

I've been using Mediaportal for 2 months now as my primary STB. Because of instability(No offence to developpers, they have done a great job !) i decided to code a little software, which keeps Mediaportal and tv server up and running i case of a failure. Mostly it is TV server which crashes when zapping from/to HD channel. As you may know in Xp at least, a popup will jump saying an "TvService - Application Error" in title caption, saying unhandled exception blah blah... This is annoying as my kids and wife can't make it running again, and of course it needs user intervetion, with keyboard etc.

So this little application is made "ad hoc" in few hours. It monitors these Application Error popups and closes them, so that Mediaportal and TvService can really stop running. After software is really gone, it is restarted. Gap is mostly so short that you won't even notice that TvService was restarted.

If you are using Mediaportal to start in login, you don't have to do that anymore, if you put this software in startup.

Of course there is lot to improve, but for me it has made Mediaportal much more usable. I just include a zip file with
    source code to VisualC#2005. Packet also has Exe file in bin/release folder.

Program assumes that Mediaportal.exe is in default installation folder. For Services, we don't deen path information as it is controlled trough ServiceController class.

I hope somebody likes this.

-te3hpurp-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom