[Finished] [MP2-789] Keyboard: A lot of shortcuts are missing (2 Viewers)

The Solutor

Portal Pro
August 25, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Thanks, you did it quickly as well :)

Practically we did five years of work in less than 8 hours!! :D

Anyway yes the client looks completely translated, and looks fine except for a copule of strings that needs to be shortened a bit to fit well in the available space.

The tray launcher is still in English but I noticed there are a couple of additional MP2 projects (mp2 tools and community plugins) which I I haven't touched yet, just because I didn't notice them. They are mostly 100% translated but many of the strings are just a copy of the english ones, so a bit of more work should be dedicated there, I guess the tray launcher's strings comes from one of such projects....

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And here is my overworked, but not yet published list. There are a few open points and perhaps some points can be updated with your help.
    @The Solutor As you have a reference now I'm waiting for your list of missing keyboard shortcuts. There are too many posts and threads, I lost the overview and have not the time to search through all threads for some posts related to keyboard shortcuts ;) I remember there was something with ChannelUp/Down, thats all.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @ge2301 As you read I was bust with the IT translation, which I finished in one night, but which I still refining and which was (and is) an huge work.

So you may want to forgive if the keyboard shortcut which were absent for four years or so, will wait a week more.

Nevertheless it's pretty strait forward to compare the key shortcuts available for MP1 and the few ones available for MP2

Say Zoom mode, Media controls (play, pause, stop...) just to mention the most evident, then there are many specific to specific sections.

I'll be more precise in the following days but you know where to start.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ge2301 As you read I was bust with the IT translation, which I finished in one night, but which I still refining and which was (and is) an huge work.
    Not sure, what you want to tell me... I spent hundreds of nights btw.

So you may want to forgive if the keyboard shortcut which were absent for four years or so, will wait a week more.
    You wanted something to be changed and hoped it to be changed for next version. Now you sound as if I want something from you :) I can also wait 4 years further, because it's not my request and target area. I'm working on other topics and can flll my time easily.

Nevertheless it's pretty strait forward to compare the key shortcuts available for MP1 and the few ones available for MP2
    I'm not using MP1, only WMC.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Not sure, what you want to tell me... I spent hundreds of nights btw.

No need to look for hidden meaning, I wanted to tell that I was busy with something else, so I had no time to prepare any list.

Simple as that.

You wanted something to be changed and hoped it to be changed for next version. Now you sound as if I want something from you :) I can also wait 4 years further, because it's not my request and target area. I'm working on other topics and can flll my time easily.

I "want" nothing. My personal needs are already more than filled by WMC, MP1 and so on (for now and the next future).

Nevertheless I prefer to have more choices, because having more choices is always a good thing. As a general rule, not just to "media centres".

So, being experienced about the matter, and being also experienced in quality control and bug hunting I pointed out to something that to my eyes looks obvious.

Something that would please a lot of users who are looking for a good alternative especially to WMC, which is undoubtedly the reference.

So I repeat (once again) I'm trying to help, not to push my pet bugs.

Perhaps while I'm not the smartest guy of the town I have surely a pretty clear vision of what most of the users are looking for, don't forget that the WMC thread on MDL (which I've contributed to maintain for a couple of years) reached 2.5 millions of contacts and almost 9000 messages, although being buried in a somewhat grayish forum.

Not bad for a single argument (which is not just the WMC port but also any viable alternative), isn't it?

I'm not using MP1, only WMC.

TBH I don't think it's a good idea. If you want to build a better MP you need to know how MP1 and other similar program works/worked

ATM be sure MP2 is not yet a better program than MP1, it's on its way to become a better program, now MP2 (IMO) needs mostly "refinements" a button here and there, a more logical settings menu.

Perhaps, take a look to the MP1 shortcuts wiki

Keyboard Shortcuts MediaPortal - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

And compare it with the equivalent MP2 section.

Keyboard shortcuts - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki

You'll realize in a blink what I mean with "MP2 still lacks a bunch of shortcuts", I'll try to summarize what is more important according to my personal opinion/experience, but all you need is already there.

Last edited:

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I agree that keyboard shortcuts should be included in MP2. There are a lot of reasons for this, for example:
    • Software in general (not only media centers) should be able to be used only using the keyboard (without using a mouse) and only using the mouse (whithout a physical keyboard). This is a basic accessibility criterium.
    • There are people that only have a keyboard in their HTPC.
    • Some remotes map their buttons to keyboard shortcuts.
    • Using keyboard shortcuts is usually quicker that using mouse actions
    • Some people prefers using keyboard, some people prefers using mouse, some people uses both
    I've just upgraded from MP1 to MP2 and have not configured already my remote.
    Yesterday, I tested the video player (with my videos and TV). It was very difficult to use it with the keyboard (or even with the mouse which I connected if I could use it better). Just to stop playing the video took several seconds and it was not user friendly at all (pressing Esc to exit full mode, pressing the arrows to open the menu, going down with the arrows to select the option, open a new menu with enter and then select the closing player option!).
    In addition, I don't know how I will configure my remote, as it needs the keyboard shortcuts. Probably I will take a look to IRSS and see if my old remote is compatible.

So I am asking to developers to include a full set of shortcuts that covered every action that can be done in MP2, as MP1 did (Keyboard Shortcuts MediaPortal) to improve usability. Please, include them as soon as your to do list allow it.

Thanks and keep working in making the best media center.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Input Device Manager has been completely reworked and is now capable of consuming HID input. In other words, every HID device will now work in MP2. :)

Different input devices can now be individually configured to map MP2 commands and screens function (e.g. Movies or TV) to a key (combination) on the device.

This will be rolled out with MP 2.2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom