Keyboard inactive after S3 resume (1 Viewer)

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
June 27, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I had an issue with my setup not going into sleep mode - it closed down and then immediately rebooted. I noticed the problem was caused by my wireless keyboard, so I used the MCE Standby Tool to disable the HID keyboard from allowing an S3 resume. The PC now resumes fine and I can use the Harmony remote.

However, I've noticed that although I can wake the PC and use the remote, the keyboard does not work. This is OK most of the time, but it is annoying if anything goes wrong or if I want to tinker with the system. I have to manually reboot the system (i.e. close down and restart, not wake from sleep) to get the keyboard working again.

I had assumed that the MCE tool would just stop the keyboard from allowing the PC to wake up, but it appears to stop it from working altogether. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to make the keyboard active after a resume?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you tried changing the 'USB selective suspend' setting in Vista power settings ?

Also in Device manager there should be Power Management settings for the wireless keyboard e.g. 'Allow this device to wake the computer'

Tony

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    1. Have you tried changing the 'USB selective suspend' setting in Vista power settings ?

2. Also in Device manager there should be Power Management settings for the wireless keyboard e.g. 'Allow this device to wake the computer'

Tony

1. I couldn't find this option (I looked in Control Panel > Power Management). Can you give me more detail?
    2. This is the core of the problem. If the keyboard is allowed to wake the system, it creates a conflict for some reason that means the computer starts up automatically immediately after the S3 power down. Once the keyboard setting is unclicked, S3 works fine but the keyboard is non-responsive after a start up via remote.

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Control Panel (classic view) -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced settings -> USB settings

Tony

This was already activated, so it didn't make any differance.

I had assumed that this MCE standby tool would just stop the keyboard from allowing the PC to wake up but wouldn't deactivate it completely (it says ‘allow keyboard to wake the system from standby’ which is now deactivated). As workarounds, I had thought of:
    1. Setup the system to shut down completely (no S3 shutdown). The disadvantage here is longer boot time plus maybe I won’t be able to remotely power up the PC.
    2. Setup the system to stay on at all times (not very green!)
    3. Assign a key on the remote control to perform a system shutdown/reboot. This avoids having to get up and turn off the PC, but it's not a real solution!

Option 4, getting the keyboard activated after an S3 shutdown is my prefered solution if anyone has any ideas!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Control Panel (classic view) -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced settings -> USB settings

Tony

This was already activated, so it didn't make any differance.

I had assumed that this MCE standby tool would just stop the keyboard from allowing the PC to wake up but wouldn't deactivate it completely (it says ‘allow keyboard to wake the system from standby’ which is now deactivated). As workarounds, I had thought of:
    1. Setup the system to shut down completely (no S3 shutdown). The disadvantage here is longer boot time plus maybe I won’t be able to remotely power up the PC.
    2. Setup the system to stay on at all times (not very green!)
    3. Assign a key on the remote control to perform a system shutdown/reboot. This avoids having to get up and turn off the PC, but it's not a real solution!

Option 4, getting the keyboard activated after an S3 shutdown is my prefered solution if anyone has any ideas!

On my HTPC, I have 'USB selective suspend' disabled and in the Device Manager entry for the wireless keyboard 'Allow this device to wake the computer' unticked (I don't use MCE standby tool).

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom