[Finished] [MP2-789] Keyboard shortcuts (2 Viewers)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Setting up Harmony as a "Windows Remote" is a possible solution but I believe there has to be also a compatible IR-Receiver for this to work.
    You need a RC6-compatible receiver. It will translate into a certain number of eHome devices listed in Windows device manager.

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So why don't you configure it for a Windows Media Center PC to control MediaPortal?

As a counter-question why was the decision made to eschew full keyboard control from MP2? I find it extremely bizarre (much akin to Apple eschewing a headphone jack in their latest iPhone). As a developer of professional media players, we would be crucified by our customers if we made such bizarre business decisions. If your decision is to solely provide MCE remotes (of which they are difficult to purchase and also not suitable for everyone) as the sole input method to MP2 then that is your prerogative but I would be genuinely interested to hear your reasoning for the lack of support of certain user input devices in MP2, which incidentally is an extremely useful and innovative app.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As a counter-question why was the decision made to eschew full keyboard control from MP2?
    This is a misinterpretation. Such decsion was never made. When development staarted many year ago there was no real initial concept for this element. We are well aware of the current situation.

I would be genuinely interested to hear your reasoning for the lack of support of certain user input devices in MP2, which incidentally is an extremely useful and innovative app.
    Thanks for siomepositive statements ;). But seriously, input management is on our ToDo list but w can't realize everything at the same time. As @Timhoh1234 mntioned we would be more than grateful if could interest more developers in joining the team. So, if you would like to contribute, you will be very welcome!

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Timhoh1234 and HTPCSourcer,

I am a developer and I am sure I can add a simple function to redirect keyboard events to MCE events but as I write software as a profession, I tend to spend non-working time on things other than software development. Writing a keyboard handler shouldn't take long - just intercept Windows key down events and call the requisite functions. Not sure why you mentioned time constraints as I can't see anything too difficult writing a keyboard handler.

I won't make any promises but if the code does compile under Visual Studio, I may add a keyboard handler in the code.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but if the code does compile under Visual Studio
    Yes it does.
    I may add a keyboard handler in the code.
    As a good starting point you should look at the current input handling interfaces and classes:
    There are more input related plugins like "IrInput" plugin that handles IRSS commands.

So if you take a look at current code, you will find a good base for own extensions. And as written already, there are existing plans to extend / rework the input handling further.

If you have questions to code, please feel free to ask.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So if you take a look at current code, you will find a good base for own extensions. And as written already, there are existing plans to extend / rework the input handling further.
    This is the point, I recommend to talk with @osre so you go into the same direction. Worst would be two seperate ideas that do not match to each other.
    I can understand and respect, that you prefer to spend freetime without programming, so I give also special thanks in case you are willing to support our project!

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    OK, that's
    Yes it does.

As a good starting point you should look at the current input handling interfaces and classes:
    There are more input related plugins like "IrInput" plugin that handles IRSS commands.

If you have questions to code, please feel free to ask.

OK great that it compiles under Visual Studio. I cannot stand faffing around with GCC (try compiling FFMPEG for example!)

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    This is the point, I recommend to talk with @osre so you go into the same direction. Worst would be two seperate ideas that do not match to each other.
    I can understand and respect, that you prefer to spend freetime without programming, so I give also special thanks in case you are willing to support our project!

Got it - will contact osre where necessary. I am now downloading the code from GitHub. MediaPortal has provided me with so much fun and I admit that I have not contributed financially so perhaps I contribute by way of implementing the keyboard handler later this month (during Chinese New Year holidays as I am based in Hong Kong).

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Got it - will contact osre where necessary. I am now downloading the code from GitHub. MediaPortal has provided me with so much fun and I admit that I have not contributed financially so perhaps I contribute by way of implementing the keyboard handler later this month (during Chinese New Year holidays as I am based in Hong Kong).
    新年快乐和感谢

Users who are viewing this thread