KickStarter? (1 Viewer)

Wormbringer

April 8, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi All ---

I searched but didn't find anything on this, so thought I would Kick it off :)

I think MediaPortal could benefit from KickStarter, is there a reason why this hasn't been tried yet?

With the many people who use the product here (for free) that they would be willing to contribute to a KickStarter campaign for some added features and such, and if the right features or goals are met (like including DRM support) I'm positive the MCE crowd would join up.

Just spit-balling some ideas for goals:
  • DRM Support
  • More Tuner Support
  • Extender Support
  • etc...etc...
I would sign up for this in a second to ditch Micosoft MCE, but since its really the only Media Center with DRM support I'm stuck with it. However, if MediaPortal were to KickStarter with a Goal of DRM Support I believe everyone would ditch MCE (Microsoft already has...).

Anyway, thanks for an awesome software and a great community.

Wormbringer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

Regarding DRM support, I guess you mean for CableCARD tuners and "copy-once" content?

There are various threads and posts in the forum that comment on this subject. Probably the most recent one is here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-with-ceton-infinititv6.130044/#post-1129284

It's true that availability of money is one of the biggest practical reasons why we haven't added DRM support. If money was the only thing standing in the way then a Kickstarter campaign would be a great idea. In reality, money is only one of the blocks. Probably the biggest block is that the principles of DRM are completely opposite to the principles that this community was founded on. We want a vibrant and collaborative community where anybody and everybody can contribute... but getting DRM certification would require closing public access to our source code and restricting the ways people can use MediaPortal.

Regarding "more tuner support"...
    Are you thinking of any particular tuners?

Best regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom