Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Just bought a König MCE "compatible" remote from kjell.com (sweden):

Kjell & Company - Nordens bredaste sortiment av tillbehr fr hemelektronik

Seems to work just fine in MCE but not so in MP. The arrow buttons work but not f.e back, more, video (red) buttons and so forth. I tried using it as a MCE remote, then general-HID so I installed Eventghost and it shows HID entrypoints in the log for volume -/+ and perhaps some other buttons, but nothing at all for f.e the back button. Doesn't matter if i install the HID plugin and/or the MCE plugin.

Has anyone tried this remote and got it to work ?

/Laban

mickelin

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I am trying to get this one to work but no success yet. If you load the Keyboard-plugin in EventGhost you will see that this remote actually emulates a keyboard, where one button on the remote sends multiple virtual keyboard keystrokes. There is a thread in the Eventghost coders' corner describing how to get around this using a different driver, but I haven't been able to get that to work (yet!)

mickelin

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
OK, I found a solution, or at least a workaround.

I use Eventhost with the keyboard plugin and the Mediaportal plugin. The Keyboard plugin catches the remote buttons and trigger the corresponding events in the MP plugin.

The remote transport keys generate several different keystroke sequences, I only picked one of them. It works quite well, the only problem is the Home/Start key. It generates a sequence ending with a keyboard.ok event, just as the OK button. This means pressing the Start key brings you to the Home screen and then the keyboard.ok event would select whatever is your default home screen item. Not good. To avoid this, I inserted a disable of the OK button in the Home action and an enable in every other action. I don't know if that makes sense, but have a look in the attached Eventghost file and you will understand what I mean.

The solution requires the message plugin be installed and enabled in MP.

Overall, I'm happy with this solution.

Attachments

• KonigMP.xml
    13.9 KB

singer36

Portal Pro
October 11, 2006
Home Country
France France
hello mickelin,

i just bought the same remote. i have found a much simpler and elegant way to use the remote.

=> uninstall the windows message plugin
=> uninstall eventghost
=> install 'keyboardInputPlugin' for mediaportal
=> in the plugin configuration screen, import the 'MCE-Remote based mappings'
=> for each key-button definition, click in the right 'key' field and press the desired remote button.
=> save & close

here it is : you have a perfectly functional remote, with the minimum softwares.

enjoy

singer36

mickelin

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

Yeah, I tried this with the Generic Keyboard/Remote plugin but couldn't get it to work. The plugin kept crasching everytime I went into the config so I gave up on it. I use Eventghost for a lot of other stuff (the most amazing and useful software I've come across!), so I would never dream of uninstalling it. Anyway, we now know there are at least two ways to get a good working solution for this and similar remotes.

Cheers,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom