Lack of #highlightedbutton in Basic Home (1 Viewer)

CKB

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Home Country
Something I posted in the bug/enhancement thread a few weeks back - but I've since done a little more digging.

Within Home, the variable #highlightedbutton is visible, meaning MiniDisplay can show the module I'm hovering over on the Home window (e.g. My Music). When I move to Basic Home (which I prefer) this variable is not visible.

My XML knowledge is very small, so I can't see where the two screens differ in their code, but I would be very grateful if this data could be available in both.

:D

Chris

IkeV70

Portal Pro
April 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The skin you are using probably doesn't include proper button labels in the basichome skin file. I found this to be the case with the black&white skin. Which skin are you using?

CKB

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Home Country
StreamedMP (sorry for not mentioning in OP, I assumed it'd be taken as read given the sub-forum !)

Latest version of skin, on 1.1 Alpha (although I also experienced this on 1 and 1.0.2)

It does work on the default Blue3Wide, but I like StreamedMP

IkeV70

Portal Pro
April 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It seems skin developers often do not use minidisplays and therefore fail to see the importance of proper button labels. They disconnect the button from the label. #highlightedbutton therefore doesn't work.
Ask the StreamedMP developers to update their skin, or do it yourself. You should find the buttons in the basichome.xml (or whatever it's called) file and make sure the labels are set correctly. Problem will be that the labels will be displayed twice. My solution was to set the textcolor of the buttons to completely transparent, therefore invisible.

CKB

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Home Country
I'll have a dig around the home and basichome xmls and see what happens !

CKB

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Home Country
Can't see where Home is pulling the information from, so I'm still missing this functionality

Anyone proficient in skin design/xml able to give me a hand ?

CKB

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Home Country
Found it :D

In BasicHome.xml locate all blocks of code looking like this :

<description>WEATHER0</description>

There are 14 per item on your basichome screen, but I've found that only 0 and 1 are needed if you navigate purely up and down the menu - if it's not working properly for you try the other numbers too.

Also find the block of code relevant to the item you start on (e.g. I start on My Music)

<description>home MUSIC</description>

In all these blocks of code, you need two strings :

<visible>yes</visible>
<label>Music</label>

The above results in 'Music' displaying in #highlightedbutton and therefore via MiniDisplay - you can change the text value to suit your needs and item.

You may find that the <label> string already exists, if so just reword as you require and add the <visible> string

SOOOOO Happy

:cool:

Chris

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hey ckb,

thanks for the information. i currently work on my basic home screen and also the mini display plugin. your soution works 100%, but I had to "move" the 0 and 1 out of the screen (x position = -100), because they were displayed in the upper left corner. have to say, that i use the aeon mod on streamed mp.

hope the moving out of screen won't make any trouble ;)

CKB

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Good to hear that someone else found this useful !

Hopefully the next version of StreamedMP will include this option by default

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    this is very useful, but how i said... inserting the <label> adds the text at the upper left corner and I have to move it out of the screen. I am gonna play around with the xml's and let you know what i've found out...

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom