Lag 720p/1080p - Hardware problem? (1 Viewer)

XAcid9

Portal Member
August 17, 2011
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi there!!

I'm new around here, but already I have a problem.
I'm experiencing lag/stuttering problem on MediaPortal, especially on 1080p movies, but also some 720p.
I have the following system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A78-EM
RAM:GSKILL PC2-8500 PK (2 x 2048) Gb
GPU: Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200
Hard drive: Samsung sata II 1.5 Tb

I'm using SAF6.0 as codecs.
Can my problem be my hardware?
I've been struggling for some weeks with this problem, can anybody help me?

Thanks!!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Lag 720p/1080p - Hardware problem?

Hi.
    The GPU is a bit weak, also the CPU. But before you buy other hardware (if so I would start with a better GPU) you first can test if SAF is working for you or not. So uninstall SAF completely and just use MS Codecs with at first Haali Splitter. If this did not work, uninstall Haali and install LAVF Splitter. If it's all the same you can try PowerDVD Codec with both splitters. And if this did not work either, then maybe you have to test new hardware...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My guess would be the HD3200, are you outputting at 1080, if so try reducing to 720p and see if stuttering gets better.

Also make sure in the BIO that the onboard graphics memory is set to at least 512mb.

Also the last known good driver for the ATI graphics is 11.4, after that there are various playback\hdmi not resuming issues.

XAcid9

Portal Member
    August 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    "My guess would be the HD3200, are you outputting at 1080, if so try reducing to 720p and see if stuttering gets better."

Won't this reduce the video quality?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi.
    Maybe, depends on your TV. But it's better to loose a bit quality as having a lot of stutter.
    Over all the OnBoard HD 3200 is not the best solution available. BTW, did your MoBo has an PCIe X16 slot? If yes, you can easily add an eg. Hd 5450 or Nvidia GT220 (if it has to be as cheap as possible. preferred is Hd 6xxx or Nvidia GT 430 and up)

XAcid9

Portal Member
    August 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Re: AW: Lag 720p/1080p - Hardware problem?

Hi.
    Maybe, depends on your TV. But it's better to loose a bit quality as having a lot of stutter.
    Over all the OnBoard HD 3200 is not the best solution available. BTW, did your MoBo has an PCIe X16 slot? If yes, you can easily add an eg. Hd 5450 or Nvidia GT220 (if it has to be as cheap as possible. preferred is Hd 6xxx or Nvidia GT 430 and up)

Yes, but if necessary I'll upgrade my hardware.
    I have a plasma panasonic 50G20.

You're talking about the following:

ASUS - RADEON HD5450 1GDDR3/HDMI Silent LP - EAH5450 1GB

Right?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi.
    Yes, a similar card I had in my HTPC a long time with very little issues. 1080p was never a problem for it. Also I have an older Intel DualCore CPU inside my HTPC. But I changed GPU to POV Nvidia GT430 so now I can use LAV Cuvid Codec, with is the best available codec out there. But this requires a Nvidia GPU.
    Regardless what you choose, the Card has to be fit with DDR3 (or better) Ram. DDR2 graphic cards are most of the time not fast enough. And the price is nearly the same, so no need to buy DDR2 GPU- Board.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    That processor and GPU should be fine for playing back proper 1080p DXVA material (1080i most likely no). My guess is that there's a configuration error somewhere... perhaps SAF not getting setup correctly (even though I've never seen this happen).

Load up GraphStudio and see what is happening during playback (it comes installed with SAF). If you don't understand the graphing that comes out, take a screen shot of it and post it for us.

What is your CPU utilization during playback? It should be very low if everything is doing what it should be doing.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Make also sure you use the correct refresh rate according to your content.

Look also at this guide in the wiki: Stuttering Playback - MediaPortal Wiki

Please also note that I do not think the HD5450 is sufficient for 1080i playback (sure will work for 1080p) so before buying make sure you will not play this kind of content in the future (that is HDTV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom