Laptop MCE Remote (1 Viewer)

clahti

Portal Member
November 19, 2008
Hello all:

I am not sure this is the right forum to be asking this question, but I recently purchased a "Media Center" remote from EBay, here is the link:

USB LAPTOP PC REMOTE CONTROLLER Media Center XP Control - eBay (item 270328971957 end time Mar-12-09 10:41:28 PDT)

I like this little remote (credit card size) and it came with Cyberlink Power Cinema v4.0. I am using Media Portal in my home theater setup with a real MCE remote and that works great, but I got this one for my bedroom. The long and short of it:

What Works
  • Directional keys (up down left right) work
  • Number key work (0-9)
  • Pause
  • Fast Forward, Rewind
  • Back
  • TV (takes you to My TV)
Sorta Works?
  • guide does something (not using TV server so not sure what remote tries to do)
Doesn't Work
  • Stop, Start
  • Repeat (not sure what this is for)
  • Jump buttons: DVD, Music Radio, Photo, Radio, Media Center

Ideally what I want to do is to get the stop and start keys to work in My Videos, I would also like to map either the "DVD Menu" or "Repeat" button to Info so I can change subtitles, get IMDB Information, etc. How do I go about figuring this out? As far as I know all of these buttons work with Power Cinema and the (thin) manual states the remote is compatible with the Microsoft/Phillips specification whatever that means. The jump buttons would be nice but not necessary, is it possible to get this remote to work with Media Portal?

:D for any help

clahti

Portal Member
November 19, 2008
So this little remote works as a general HID device, but sends keystrokes that do not map well to Media Portal out of the box. The current solution is to use the latest EventGhost SVN build and map key presses to MP events. The only downside currently is that some keys are captured by EventGhost and sent to the bit bucket when not in Media Portal, most notably the backspace key so in other applications this key does not work. I suppose the next thing to try is to remap keys in media portal to match what the remote sends, but for now I have it working so I won't mess with it for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom