Last.Fm not releasing memory (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have had MP crash on me a few times today after installing today's SVN. I stupidly also installed a new skin and some fanart stuff. MP has died because the system has run out of memory.

Just noticed that using last.fm plugin memory usage increases a lot. I disabled all 3rd party plugins and switched to Blue3Wide skin. I started MP and usage was around 88,000 KB opened up last.fm and memory jumped to around 123,000 KB but was stable.

Then I kicked off a track and memory usage jumped to 138,000 KB after 3:40 of that song memory usage was at 141,000 KB and as soon as the next song started usage jumped again to 146,000 KB.

Spent a while then playing around and withint 15 minutes memory usage was up at 250,000 KB.

Basically each time a song starts the memory usage goes up however this never seems to get freed. I have not noticed an issue with this previously but I notice that the memory usage of StreamedMP with fanart is much higher then Blue3Wide and I guess I have always had much more headroom.

If you start a stream and then press stop memory will reduce slightly but not anywhere near how much it increased by when stream started. You can start and stop streams and watch memory usage grow at an alarming rate. Even stopping streams and going back to home screen does not release memory.

I am guessing memory usage jumps when a stream starts as the system has to get the pics for the upcoming tracks as well as the stream itself but when this has finished something should be released? Worse on pressing stop memory usage should drop back to where it started???

Will see if I get time to do some more testing on different machines / SVNs but given that plugin did not change in last SVN and does not look like many changes would have caused this I assume it existed before?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Not seen that here, for the moment using StreamedMP & latest svn, but will test further..

Regards
    Roy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Not seen that here, for the moment using StreamedMP & latest svn, but will test further..
    So if you have taskmanager open and start a stream, wait for it to get all the art and details of the five next tracks, tags etc and then stop and start the same again several times you do not see the memory usage increasing?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Nope not like that, i've seen memory grows now (been running for 15 hours now) & it is + 100 mb since started, but here it seems related to fanart (have to uninstall that & test the same again (btw i'm on windows 7).

Do you have any errors in logs?

Regards
    Roy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Nope not like that, i've seen memory grows now (been running for 15 hours now) & it is + 100 mb since started, but here it seems related to fanart (have to uninstall that & test the same again (btw i'm on windows 7).
    Wonder if this could be XP specific. I have disabled all third party plugins and using blue3Wide skin so basically I have
    TVPlugin
    Music
    Weather
    Home
    last.fm
    Powerscheduler
    Minidisplay
    audioscrobbler
    (possibly a couple more but only the basic standard ones; not at home to check now)

So with this setup I am not using fanart (although there is a lot loaded into skin fanart folder in thumbs) but memory is rising steadily.

Do you have any errors in logs?
    Only errors have been when system has run out of memory

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Ok, maybe XP specific, i'll test on a xp comp maybe something shows up there..

Regards
    Roy

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Last.Fm not releasing memory

Corrupted fanart graphics could also be a reason.
    I cannot reproduce a true leak either. Please keep us updated...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Looks like it is not just last.fm (I use this pluging a lot which is why it appeared to be this...)

I deleted everything in the thumbs folder just to rule that out and I am using Blue3Wide skin and only included plugins.
    I have uploaded a video of me opening a clean MP and just browsing some music folders and hanging the layout views. (sorry is a 30MB SWF file so will take a while to load)

Even without doing anything else memory usage has jumped from 80,000 KB at startup to 400,000 KB by the time I stopped. Left MP for a while just to see if any memory was given up but it wasn't. End of video shows config app and the clean install....

Logs show nothing particularly happening at this time so got me wondering why CPU usage is averaging around 16%

Just for completeness I have turned off every plugin bar home, settings and music and I still get the problem

Going to do a completely clean install of Beta 1.1 and see if I have problem there. If not I will try last couple of SVNs to see if problem starts there.

Any ideas what this could be?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Tested on XP & it does grow about 3 megs / song over time & in total max 100 above normal) when using last.fm, but that is not close to what you see.....

Regards
    Roy

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Tested on XP & it does grow about 3 megs / song over time & in total max 100 above normal) when using last.fm, but that is not close to what you see.....
    Any issues with browsing music folders? Particularly changing the layout?

Just removed everything and installed Beta 1.1 and all was fine. Now installed latest SVN and problem is there.
    Tomorrow I may have the time to try a few SVNs in between to see when this started:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom