launch MP with MCE remote? (1 Viewer)

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
Is there a way to program a MCE remote (actually a Harmony remote but it can act as a MCE remote) to launch MediaPortal and focus to it? My PC is not dedicated to running MP so I often have to get up from the couch, get to the PC and use the mouse to start MP, then walk back to the couch to watch something.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you enabled MPTray in configuration (last tab), that will launch MP from green button, if harmony remote can simulate one (think it can).

Otherwise use IRServersuite and select button to start MP.

anony

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2009
    Wow I didn't know this has been built in to configuration. Worked on Windows 7, despite reports on the MPTrayMod page on the website saying that it doesn't work. Thanks!

TE5LA

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been trying to do this with an MCE remote. It doesn't work for me (MP 1.2.3 amd Win7 64). The button will launch Windows Media Center, but when I set the option in MP, it does nothing. I also want to know how to make a button on the remote (VRC-1100) function as "Back" in the menus.

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've been trying to do this with an MCE remote. It doesn't work for me (MP 1.2.3 amd Win7 64). The button will launch Windows Media Center, but when I set the option in MP, it does nothing.

It didn't work for me either so I just changed the file that launches when you push the green button:

1. Take ownership of C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe by right clicking on it
      Properties-Safety-Advanced-Owner-Edit-Admin
    2. Go back and select all permissions for Admin
    3. Rename ehshell.exe to ehshellbackup.exe
    4. Create a batch file named ehshell.bat and put the following into it:
      START /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\" MediaPortal.exe -p
      EXIT
    5. Get a "bat to exe converter"
    6. Put the new ehshell.exe file into the C:\Windows\ehome directory
    7. Done!
    I also want to know how to make a button on the remote (VRC-1100) function as "Back" in the menus.
    I just installed KeyboardInputPlugin and there you can change the way buttons work in MP.

Last edited:

TE5LA

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been trying to do this with an MCE remote. It doesn't work for me (MP 1.2.3 amd Win7 64). The button will launch Windows Media Center, but when I set the option in MP, it does nothing.

It didn't work for me either so I just changed the file that launches when you push the green button:

1. Take ownership of C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe by right clicking on it
      Properties-Safety-Advanced-Owner-Edit-Admin
    2. Go back and select all permissions for Admin
    3. Rename ehshell.exe to ehshellbackup.exe
    4. Create a batch file named ehshell.bat and put the following into it:
      START /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\" MediaPortal.exe -p
      EXIT
    5. Get a "bat to exe converter"
    6. Put the new ehshell.exe file into the C:\Windows\ehome directory
    7. Done!
    I also want to know how to make a button on the remote (VRC-1100) function as "Back" in the menus.

I just installed KeyboardInputPlugin and there you can change the way buttons work in MP.
    Well, I tried via your example and several others online but I can't take "ownership". It tells me it's changed and it shows I am owner, but when I try to rename it, it tells me I have to receive permissions from myself to change it. Huh?

Man, I hate Windows permissions system!

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    TE5LA said:
    Well, I tried via your example and several others online but I can't take "ownership". It tells me it's changed and it shows I am owner, but when I try to rename it, it tells me I have to receive permissions from myself to change it. Huh?

Man, I hate Windows permissions system!

Do you have "All permissions" for Admin in the "Safety" tab?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Double click the InstallTakeOwnership.reg in the .rar
    After that right-click the specific file you want ownership over and select 'Take Ownership'. RemoveTakeOwnership.reg removes the option again.

Attachments

• TakeOwnership.zip
      622 bytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom